Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

I have a cookbook called Cooking From Scratch Overseas that is written by a missionary, Neva Pugh  and her daughter, Jan Cunningham that I enjoy using. Neva spent 35 years living outside of the U.S. under very difficult and primitive conditions in the Dominican Republic.  I found her cookbook when we were at Mission Training International where we did our debriefing after coming back from Russia.  The book contains not only recipes but also substitution lists and tips on what to pack for your international move that are very helpful.


One of my favorite treats from their collection is a simple cookie recipe that is oh so tasty.


Doris's Sugar Cookies

Mix together thoroughly:
1/4 cup shortening or butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

Sift together and stir in:
1 1/8 c. flour
1/4 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Drop by rounded teaspoons about 2 inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet.  Bake until delicately browned.  Bake 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees. Cool slightly, then remove from baking sheet.  Cookies should still be soft.  *Makes about 3 dozen 2 inch cookies.

*I have tried this recipe three times now and it has made exactly 2 dozen cookies each time. I guess I am making my cookies a little bigger than Doris intended!  A few times I have used brown sugar instead of white and I still liked the taste.  These are easy to make and great with a hot cup of tea.



I have tried just dropping them on the baking sheet and I have tried rolling them into balls.



They come out a little neater if you roll them into balls and press with a fork.









8 comments:

  1. very simple and very yummy looking! I might have to copy and paste this recipe! Thanks for sharing! Stopped over via FTLOB. Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. That is simple, but looks wonderful! Thanks for another tasty tidbit for Tuesday!

    :-)

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinking of making these with my son, thanks for sharing and for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, simple and fast. I've got to give these a try.

    http://www.mariscamera.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Yummy! I dont care what they look like...they all taste the same, right!?:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple sugar cookies are one of my favorites, too. As a matter of fact, I wish I had a couple right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look easy. And yummy! And like I wouldn't be able to stop with one. Or two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delcious!!!!

    ReplyDelete