Thursday, July 21, 2011

Dinosaurs can be so rude...

Ever have a day when you felt like your best was not good enough to please someone else?  I wonder if that's how this poor dinosaur feels.  If he could open his arms any wider I think he would.  But, he can't...so he doesn't...and the best he could do was rejected by someone he loves.

When I saw this graphic I laughed.  Then I started wondering how many of us are guilty of this behavior.  It may not be something said with words but maybe it's in the way we look at someone or how we react to them that communicates the message that their best wasn't good enough.

Not long ago I wrote a guest blog post for my friend Cyndi.  I blogged about being afraid to speak and thinking before speaking.  When I was working on it I thought long and hard about the power of words.  I thought about saying things the right way and having the courage to express myself.  I wrote and then rewrote several different variations before I hit the send button on that post.  But when we speak we don't get to delete or retract the words.  Once they escape our lips they are gone. And we have to deal with the consequences of of those words.

I pray that I will continue to be cautious with my words...whether in print or in real life.  And that my words will bless and encourage others instead of making someone feel as if their best is not good enough.

10 comments:

  1. good thing all their rudeness is now extinct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent point Alida, and one we see the results of people ignoring all too often. If we all paid more attention to James 1:19-20, we'd have significantly fewer issues.

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Alida! Oftentimes it's not even meant the way it comes out. Taking an extra moment to think about what to say is SO worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a lesson I'm still trying to learn. I am constantly stopping myself and reminding myself that I'm often too harsh and critical and not patient. Esp at work. If someone is giving all they have, why should that not be good enough for me xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is so true! worst part is sometimes we do that to the people we love the most who truly do not deserve it ... thanks for the reminder not to be too quick to speak and to always think before i say anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How often we sometimes forget the power of our words and when/how we unleash them. It's always good to be mindful before we speak but even more to take ownership of the things we say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes it truly is hard to remember that maybe someone is doing the best they can do. It took me a long time to accept this about my parents. But accepting this helped me come to terms with so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How many times have I been the ungrateful dino....one to many times....this is where the LORD has me in my spiriutal lessons right now ...He has me learning more gratitude...to stop seeing that the glass is half empty but be thankful that I still have a glass half way full...
    I liked the scriptures that Phather Phil used....from James chapter one, good thoughts this morning Alida

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, amazing post friend! i often spit words out on twitter and i guess that is just me! i have a BIG mouth and then you are right, later maybe you don't feel so good about saying what you say! i try to be discrete and not let anyone know who i'm referring to or what i'm talking about (keeping it in suspense) but that's no excuse and I'm trying HARD to be better! Love you lady! thanks for shedding the light!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you drove it home with that little comic! Thanks for the reminder! I've caught myself this week and this just really hit home with me!

    ReplyDelete