Friday, July 29, 2011

Girl Talk


I was down in the village of Esperanza with CDF today speaking with about 40 girls from age 8 to 16 about the Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children and sexual abuse.  We covered the definitions of sexual exploitation and sexual abuse and then addressed the medical, social, emotional aspects of the issue and broke into small groups for a time of discussion.  The girls were put into 2 large groups from ages 8-12 and 13 & up to cover the medical and emotional issues.  It was a long day, but a productive one.  We have no idea what the girls took away from it all.  The most important message that was stressed over and over again was that if something had already happened to them it was not their fault.

I was not scheduled to be a speaker today...I was just supposed to be a small group leader.  But I got asked to share my personal story of abuse so I did.  I had to tailor it so that the little ones could understand and that was a first for me.  One young lady shared with me in the small group time about a friend of hers that had been exploited.  I was grateful that my story led to her opening up to me.  And it was evident on the faces of others that they had stories to share but were not quite ready.

Tomorrow we will be presenting to Sunday School teachers and Children's workers here in Belmopan and giving the same talks.  Tom will join us and speak about the importance of counseling.  We aren't sure how many there will be at tomorrow's session.  But the plan is for 40 again.  And we expect it to be mostly women.

We have heard that there will be a small group of ladies coming from the Mennonite community and we are very excited about getting the chance to work with them.  It would be great if doors were opened through them that would lead to us being able to do a seminar specifically for the people in Spanish Lookout.  Please keep CDF and this work in your thoughts and prayers! 

11 comments:

  1. Its astonishing how many children are abused in silence... so very sad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a blessing that you are able to reach these children.

    Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is overwhelming sometimes the number of kids who are suffering not just here but around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless you for doing this! It is horrible to think about young innocent children suffering at the hands of people who are suppose to have their best interests at heart. Breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you are doing wonderful work. Even if you just touch one child it is all worth it.. I will keep you in and your ministry in my prayers..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's wonderful that you all are doing this! It's so important to get the message out there and let these children and ladies know its ok, that it's not their fault and that there are people they can turn to. This personally pulls on my heart strings a bit and am so glad you all are doing this. I will be hoping and praying that you have more great progress with the groups to come. My heart goes out to you all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My God work through you! This is a disturbing yet very real epidemic. What a blessing that so many attended and many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy that you are able to share with others and help them....

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a powerful topic and such a personal piece of yourself to share...im praying for you and the kiddies so that your testimony helps the next generation of kids to share their stories before it's too late!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I gave my life to Christ on a high school field trip to a Minnonite compound. That will be interesting working with them.

    How blessed the girls must be to know they have a safe place to share their stories if they need to.

    Good work going on there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all of your encouraging words and prayers.

    ReplyDelete