Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

I just started reading The Help.  And so far so good.  One thing I enjoy is noticing what kind of food they talk about in whatever book I am reading or movie I watch.  My first cooking experience based on a movie was making beignets inspired by The Princess and the Frog.  They are pretty yummy!!

Now I am ready to tackle caramel cake.  It was mentioned in the first chapter of The Help.  I have never tasted a caramel cake but since caramel is one of my favorite flavors I am willing to give it go...and I am sure that Tom won't mind helping me eat it.

The author, Kathryn Stockett, provides a recipe for the frosting click here and I found that a few bloggers like Jen & Company and Alpaca Farm Girl have already posted recipes for the cake.  Even Paula Deen has a recipe but I don't think I have enough butter in the house to make hers!

There are even some cupcakes inspired by the book made by Cupcake Project.  And 20/20 did a story on the book and sampled Caramel Cake  This is a tough decision as to which recipe to try.  I may have to break down and try more than one of them.

A strong contender is this one from allrecipes.com  It looks simple and simple works for me.

I think it might be time for slice right now!




11 comments:

  1. Not only did I read the book The Help, I lived it, at least from the white perspective. I grew up in a middle to upper middle class home in the South. We had a housekeeper. My mom's last housekeeper and I became friends, and we have had many interesting discussions about this topic. Now that I've read the book, we've talked about that, too! It has opened my eyes to so much I took for granted as a child. Now, as the mother of adopted children from different ethnic backgrounds, including African American, I am even more aware of all the ways that even well intentioned people can discriminate. This is an incredibly important book, and very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm.... Tasty Tuesday rocks it again! A yummy treat AND a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alida, it is wonderful to find you here! Thank you for the note you left of my blog some time ago. Trust your travels went well. Mmmmm! Carmel Cake sounds inviting! I'll hop over to read some of your previous posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that book! I made caramel cake for the first time because of how much it is talked about in it, lol. You should make it---it's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm... Caramel Cake sounds intriguing! Your Tuesday posts are a Weight Watchers nightmare Alida! ;-)

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness two of my favourites. Firstly, The Help is an amazing book. I laughed and cried and finished it in less than a week. You won't be able to sleep because you'll want to keep reading. It is SO funny. And of course, I'm a Disney girl. I loved the Little Mermaid but I love the Princess and the Frog even more!

    I'm checking out your post on beignets right after this.

    Paula Deen won't be happy until there is no butter left in the world yall! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've never had caramel cake either! looks delish and i know i would love it! i think i will have to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adored this book. I first read it a couple of years ago, then I read it again with my book club just a few months ago. I grew up in the South in the early 60s so I remember a lot of the civil rights schedule from the perspective of a child. It was so good to think about it from another point of view.

    My mother made a yellow cake with a caramel frosting. It was a cooked frosting that hardened like candy as it cooled. It was so good, but sadly I don't have the recipe.

    I will have to try one of these recipes for caramel cake soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are varies cupcakes dishes includes in the cook book, which made by Cupcake Project. I am planning to prepare Caramel Cake, with its shared recipe.
    replacement kitchen doors glasgow

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello...I stumbled onto your blog by way of FTLOB and have a huge crush and will be following! I downloaded {the help}on my kindle and am already hooked even though I've only read a few chapters.

    Stop by sometime and say hello!
    http://astylishlittlelady.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started the book today and I am excited to get through it. Im part of a book club which I'm excited about!! Happy reading:-)

    ReplyDelete