Friday, July 22, 2011

fruit from the yard

One of the stalks on the plantain tree in our front yard fell over.  We were told that it needed to be cut off so that the tree would continue to grow and bear fruit.  So when Tom went outside with the saw and a machete I ran to get my camera and followed along!

plantains fresh from the tree

Trimming the tree

There are a few more stalks about to fall over with fruit.


When the fruit falls off the tree it is not completely ripe.  Many people go ahead and eat them then.  They are used as a starch like a potato. It takes another 3-4 weeks for them to completely ripen and be soft enough to eat like a banana.  So we have not tasted them yet.  I am planning to make jam when they are ready.

13 comments:

  1. Always handy to have that camera in place. Seeing this makes me think of the pruning God does in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jam? With plantains? That sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how neat! I didn't even think about all the exotic fruit and foods you must be able to grow. I've never heard of a Jam out of plantains tho xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been reading some local cookbooks and plantains should work if I let them get really really ripe. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you bake them, too?

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love plantain! I can't even imagine having one in my yard. Would love to see it when they are ripe!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so awesome! i can't imagine planting plantains! and jam?! wow, can't wait to read the post on that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you can bake them too...I have seen a few recipes here. I can hardly wait until they ripen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool to learn something new!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah, very cool! I don't know that i've ever had a plantain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your photo series of trimming the tree. Also an interesting post about the plantains. Let us know how the jam turns out. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness- I LOVE plantains! Especially Caribbean Stuffed Plantains.... Mmmmm.

    I must say- I LOVE what Wanda said!

    I appreciate your visit and comments on my blog today! I am following you on GFC ;o)

    ~Rebecca~
    Mod'N'Natural
    NaturalMommas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love what I learn from reading your blog! Plantain jam sounds delightful...LOVE fried plantain. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete