Monday, July 04, 2011

The joy of transformation

The big wall at New Life Ministries used to look like this:


Then the men came together and got to work on it

And now the youth are taking their turn!

And one child's thoughts stood out for me...



A year ago we were getting off a plane from Moscow.  We landed in Dallas and spent a few months in the states before moving here to Belize.  We are amazed at what we have seen here over the past ten months.  And the transformation that we see in this building is just a small reflection of the growth we are seeing in the people.

Tom spoke yesterday at New Life on "How People Grow".  One of his points was "Change is good, but growth is better".  He told us that change may simply be superficial or may be poorly motivated.  But that growth is a process designed by God to restore us to His image.

Meditate on that for a moment.  What comes to mind for you?  

For me I can see that growth trumps change.  I can see that there is a difference between making a change in my behavior and truly learning a new principle which leads me to maturity.


9 comments:

  1. Hi Alida. I love this post. I think if we grow then the change was genuine and real and the growth shows that. I too, would rather grow than just change temporarily.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, what a great idea. Those coloured and personalised squares look so much better than a plain wall.

    I often think I need to make changes in my life but now I'm going to think about growth and development. I really need to meditate on how to be the change I want in my life. How best to become the person I know I can be xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I like that it became something personal and special! :)
    Thanks for visiting "Mrs. No-No Knows"! I am now following you back! :) Hope you will stop back often and put in your two cents.
    Carla aka Mrs. No-No
    Mrs. No-No Knows
    www.facebook.com/mrsnonoknows
    www.twitter.com/mrsnonoknows

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wall looks great and the children's additions make it amazing! I agree growth is more fulfilling than change. Anything can be changed but it takes real heart and soul to grow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I learned something new today.no wonder when things change they are often temporary. Growth is life changing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. being of farmer stock here in Canada, we always say you can check the growth of the tree, by the fruit it bears. True growth not only brings change, but has fruit to bear witness to that change.

    I am also quite fond of saying, "what you feed, will grow." and often stop to ask myself when life presses in...what am I feeding right now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad for the physical changes of the wall. It's showing the growth of your church. It's a good feeling, innit?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are experiencing so much change. Me, too. Now you have me thinking about growth.

    Can't imagine the difference of living in Russia and then living in Belize. wow.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know about growth, as I am learning to grow right now. Changes are necessary, but growth means you've actually learned something. :)

    Love the wall, and that was so cute! Out of the mouths of babes, right? :)

    ReplyDelete