Tuesday, October 16, 2007

culture questions

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I was going over the culture questions from our lesson with Sasha. They were about setting goals, complaining and what makes a quality life... one of Sasha's answers was intriguing to me.

She told me that young men are told to do three things:

1) plant a tree
2) build a house
3) have a son

I love the imagery involved in this answer, for me it illustrates the path of patient endurance, stability and leaving behind a legacy.

There was one question that she didn't know the answer to. Spencer's language helper Vlad was also here so we asked his opinion. He couldn't answer the question either.

What does the "ideal Russian" look like?

Tomorrow I will ask my teacher at school. If you were asked about the "ideal American" or the "ideal____ fill in the blank with whichever country you are from", what would you say!?

4 comments:

  1. Great question! There is quite a difference between the average American and the ideal American. I would have to say the Ideal American would own his own home, have money in savings, be happy with his career choice, and enjoy the freedoms he has as an American. The average American.... well, that's a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:26 AM

    I don't know what the ideal Russian looks like but the ideal guest this past week has been your son. What a lovely younge man he is and a pleasure to have as a guest in my home. Thanks for raising such a great kid and friend to my son.
    -Josh's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh's Mom,

    Thank you for such kind words! I am so glad that Nathan and Josh were finally able to meet and spend some time with one another in person!

    Nathan's mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a tough question. For whatever culture you are from. I'll have to think about that one.

    ReplyDelete