Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas blessings...

This year's Christmas was a very modest one for us. We decided not to buy a tree this year... but, I did manage to get a few decorations up to brighten up the place for the holiday.



We even managed a bit of shopping for each other...just one present each.

However we did have a few people play Santa for us.

These bikes were a major blessing.  Now we can get around town 
easier and still get exercise while we are out and about.

These small appliances provided by a small group in Kansas
also brought joy into our home.

and a few things from the Southwest were a delight
and came just in time for Christmas as well.
Posted by Picasa

 Not all of the blessings we received this Christmas can be shown in photo.

Christmas Eve was spent having dinner with Tom and June out at their place.  We enjoyed an evening of fellowship with them and were glad that they were here in town and not back in the states for the holiday.

We were blessed with phone calls from our parents, connecting with our children, and lots of holiday greetings in English and in Russian on Facebook and in emails on Christmas day.

We also feel blessed to have experienced our first Belizean Christmas. Church bells sounded around 10 pm Christmas Eve then fireworks were set off by our neighbors right around midnight.

Christmas morning we awoke to church bells, fireworks and music coming from the homes around us.  Church was canceled on Sunday because most of the people at the small church we attend went to visit their relatives in villages out in other parts of the country... this gave us a leisurely day to relax, go on a short bike ride and enjoy the quiet here in town.

I encourage you to take some time to count your blessings and in doing so may you feel rich with joy and hope for the coming year!

25 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm following back. I love your blog. This post reminds me to continue to encourage gratefulness in my kids, even when they didn't get "everything" on their lists this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas! Such great photos! Thanks for stopping by my blog and following! I'm following you back on GFC and Networked Blogs :) I loved your candy cane cookie post too :) I'll have to try that recipe next year! I hope to write a post about Candy canes and making Valentine cards out of the candy canes and if you don't mind I'll link up to your post :)
    God bless,
    Tracy at "A Slice of Smith Life"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by!!

    Tracy, what a great idea to turn the candy cane cookies into hearts for Valentines day! I hope I remember that one too... they will make great gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas to you both! This year I was fondly remembering spending a fun evening with the Sharps. Good food, good fun, and good friends.
    You're always an encouragement Alida! Thanks for sharing your lives with us.
    We miss you terribly. Every time Sophia sees animal print clothing, jewelry, shoes, etc. she exclaims, "Miss Alida would LOVE that!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for following and I am following back. How exciting to be living in Belize. My family loves to travel:) It is so interesting to learn what other countries do. I have enjoyed looking at your blog and will be back to read more of your journeys:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was such a good thing to stop by my blog. You gave me the chance to meet yours. From what I understand you are somewhere in Russia right? What you do is such a great thing. You give hope to so many people!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh Stephanie, that truly touches my heart...and Sophia is right! Miss Alida would love all of those things!

    Katerina, we were in Russia for 5 years and now we are in Central America in the country of Belize.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you were in Russia were you in Moscow? Did you love the decorations for the New Year's there? Those are my favorite with all the bridges and streets lit up. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kat,
    When we were in Russia we were in the south in a city called Krasnodar. We did enjoy visiting Moscow a few times but totally enjoyed the smaller town life!!

    New Year's in Russia is awesome and I am going to miss it greatly this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for stopping by my blog...I love your blog. What an amazing way to wake up on Christmas morning, what a blessing. I LOVE your bikes too...I am now your newest follower ;-)>

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like you had a simple, but lovely Christmas... perfect! I would love for it to be that simple here :) you inspire me for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the decor! Just enough to bring christmas into your home!

    ReplyDelete
  13. http://realmomreviews.blogspot.com/
    Following your blog! Please follow back!
    If you could follow me on Facebook, that would be awesome too!!
    http://www.facebook.com/RealMomReviews
    Thanks for your time!
    Skye

    ReplyDelete
  14. AHHH. Waking up to church bells...that's something I would like to experience.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you had a beautiful Christmas. Hope all your days are filled with simple joys.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely image of Christmas, especially the church bells. We went to the midnight candlelight service at our church. So quiet and beautiful.

    A simple Christmas is a relief. We did little at our house, too.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your newest follower! Would LOVE a follow back!

    http://thefrugalfreegal.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Im your newest follower from Family Bloghop. Hope you can come by my blog

    Follow Me Back from Family Blog Hop

    ReplyDelete
  19. It seems very nice, and so different from where you have been. I really admire all you do. Merry Christmas to you, Tom, and the boys!!

    xxoo
    j

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am glad to have the opportunity to get to know you. It looks like you are going to impact others in a big and loving way. Much success in your endeavors. I pray that you find happiness and grow in your new surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  21. HI Alida!
    I just did my post on the candy cane Valentine cards and I linked back to your blog and Candy Cane Cookie post. You can read my post here where you will find your link:
    http://asliceofsmithlife.blogspot.com/2010/12/valentine-candy-canes-and-christmas.html

    Thanks again for sharing the cookie recipe and stopping by my blog all the way from Belize ! :)

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Modest Christmas, we had that too. I love your pics, wonderful.
    kim
    ps I love Belize, beautiful Country!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a wonderful Christmas! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete