Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Trying something new



Since we arrived here in Belize we both have tried to keep an open mind about new foods. Each time I go to the market I look for things that are unfamiliar. My latest find is a fruit.  

Sapodilla
 
I asked the girl what it was called, and how you eat it.  She filled me in on those details along with giving me the warning to wait until it was soft to eat.  It wasn't very expensive so I decided to give it a try.
 
Looking online we read that it comes from the Yucatan, Mexico, Central America and the West Indies.  Also we discovered that it has the grainy texture of  an over ripe pear but has a malty taste and that some people think it has a caramel taste.  
 
I kept it on the counter waiting for it to soften up... maybe we didn't wait quite long enough.  It was not as sweet as we had hoped it would be and neither Tom nor I liked the taste. It was pretty bitter.  I have a second one that we are still waiting on to soften up and will give it another try.  
 
And of course I am still on the lookout for new things at the market!

6 comments:

  1. That is so exciting! I love trying new foods, too, and love when we can get them relatively cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is new and def. something i never tried or heard of...you always have great things to share...thanks love:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zapotes! that's the name in spanish. I must confess I don't like them, but my hubby loves them! you have to wait until they're VERY soft, if they tasted a little bitter probably they weren't ready yet. You can try zapote ice cream, I'm sure you can find it there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celina,
    I haven't seen the ice cream yet... I will look out for that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was curious as well Alida of how those things taste. I didn't get the chance when I was in Belize last time to try them. I have heard of the ice cream as well. Good luck trying out the foods. We did learn to just buy one to make sure if you like something, not a dozen the first time for sure.

    Debra
    http://www.takingbelize.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete