Friday, December 03, 2010

Leafcutter Ants

Ants are creatures of little strength,
   yet they store up their food in the summer...
Proverbs 30:25  NIV


I thought my days of watching bugs were over now that my sons are adults and we were no longer homeschooling. This would have made a great unit study with our guys.  I can envision our oldest son making a video or wanting to find a book at the library to learn more about them while our youngest would be the one to follow their every move to see exactly where they were going and what was going to happen next.

Hearing about them is one thing but seeing them at work is a totally different experience.  It was actually a little startling to see small pieces of leaves moving around.  You can click here to see a video and read more about these ants.

Initially I saw them on the sidewalk... after following their trail I found them on this tree.


As they moved out of the tree they went through the grass across the sidewalk

And they laid them on the grass on the other side of the walkway

From reading about them online I discovered that they are the world's smallest gardeners.  They use the leaves for compost in their own little gardens.  I am not usually interested in nature; bugs, insects or anything creepy.  I guess once a homeschooling mom always a homeschooling mom!
















19 comments:

  1. i really love this post! i have always been fascinated by ants...it is amazing just how strong they are.

    it's so interesting that they are creating their own compost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is amazing how strong they are... some of the leaf pieces they were carrying just looked too big for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great blog, I followed on the Friday blog hop, and so glad I did! I will be comming back for a closer look for sure :) I am a homeschooler -and know lots of moms who put their kids in school, you never loose the homeschool mind once you have it :)
    http://mom2girls-thisishowitgoes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. mom2girls- thanks for stopping by. We homeschooled from preschool to highschool graduation and enjoyed it immensely. blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So neat that we both blog about ants on the same day. Always been amazed at watching those little guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following you from So Followed Saturday blog hop. Please visit me and follow back at http://debbiedoescoupons.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ants are pretty amazing little creatures!

    P.S.
    I'm following you from the blog hop. Visit my blog and participate in some giveaways when you get a chance.

    http://alwaysaroundboys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks all for stopping by... I am off to check out your posts for today!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    I'm your newest follower! Found you at the Home Grown Families Friday Blog Hop! Would love if you would come check out my blog.
    Tara
    www.onestopgiveawayshop.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Alida! I love the ant post! Ill probably find myself studying ants, the next time I see them! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am your newest follower from the Saturday Blog hop. Hope you will stop by http://thisnthatboutiqueblog.blogspot.com/ and say Hi anytime. I look forward to reading more of your blog. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. New Follower from Saturday Hop.

    Would love a follow back :)

    Your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool! great pictures! I have never seen ants carry leaves before, so now I will have to watch more carefully when the weather warms up.

    I'm visiting from a blog hop and now following you!

    Thanks
    Kelly
    http://mysimplewalk.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://copperllamastudio.blogspot.com/
    I'm a new follower
    Copper Llama Studio
    would love it if you followed me back

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for stopping by everyone... I am off to check out your blogs and join in the blog hopping fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool-great pics too!!

    Hi there! I am your newest follower from the weekend blog hop! I would love it if you stopped by and returned the love :)

    http://waveoflifesurfstudio.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for stopping by Kelly! I am off to check out your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow those ants are unbelievable.

    I just found your blog through the Weekend Blog Hop! Have a great weekend.

    Amanda @ www.nutritionistreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for following! Have great weekend! I am now following you!

    ReplyDelete