Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Haven... an update


What a night!!  Where to begin?!

Our worship leader/youth pastor at the church is taking a break because of feeling burnt out.  We saw this is a great learning opportunity for everyone.  This young leader was doing worship for 4 services a week, teaching on Youth night and has a full time job as a school teacher.  No wonder he needed to step back.  As he steps back it is important to draw others forward.  

Tom and I chose to involve more people in the running of The Haven this week.  It is important for it not to become the Tom & Alida show. When I arrived at the church I asked one of the young ladies if she would take care of setting up the refreshment table after the teaching time and while I was speaking with her Tom was teaching a young man how to run the powerpoint for the evening.

We had worship followed by a lively time that Tom is calling "Pikni Passij".  Pikni (pronounced picknee) is the Kriol word for children.  The children get a short lesson from Mr. Tom and then they are dismissed to their class.  Tom's main teaching for the evening was about the Rules of Stuck Family.  

The exciting part of the evening is one I cannot fully describe because of our rule of confidentiality. But I can say that the discussion time went deeper last night than ever before.  We are grateful for those of you who prayed for us to be safe people.  I had barely opened the group when the first person jumped in to share what she had learned about her family and herself from the lecture.  It was amazing to hear each and every adult present in the group open up in a more personal way.  Wow.  Wish you could have been with us.

On Saturday Tom and I will be stepping into the youth ministry at the church as mentors.   Tom will be teaching at Youth night for the remainder of the month.   As it stands now the plan is for Tom and the worship leader/youth pastor to alternate teaching each month.  We are looking forward to getting more involved with the youth and are excited about teaching recovery principles to this generation.  Youth here range in age from 13-30 and they make up 64% of the population in this country and are the majority at our small church.  


We are grateful.  

We are on the right track.

 We, as a congregation, are all growing and learning to trust one another
 and together we are trusting God for the results.  



  


7 comments:

  1. I think it is great what you are doing. I pray for good results too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words and we truly value your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, so encouraging to hear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this, Alida. I am not of your faith, but I can tell that you have such a deep devotion to God and your church- it is so inspiring! I love learning about how other people worship, I think what you do is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Shalyn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such wonderful news. I love how God is using you and your hubby. May you see His breakthroughs at every turn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post. Your commitment shines through! I'm looking forward to reading about your path!

    ReplyDelete