Monday, January 31, 2011

The Way of the Woodpecker

Whatever you see, take care to consider it well, and you will not see it in vain. ~C.H. Spurgeon





Since these birds have become a part of my morning wake up routine I decided to learn a few things about them:


Woodpeckers can be found in wooded areas all over the world, except in Australia.
The woodpecker's strong, pointed beak acts as both a chisel and a crowbar to remove bark and find hiding insects. It has a very long tongue, up to four inches in some species - with a glue-like substance on the tip for catching insects.
Some species drum on trees to communicate to other woodpeckers and as a part of their courtship behavior. 
Woodpeckers tap an estimated 8,000-12,000 times per day.
Woodpeckers have characteristic calls, but they also use a rhythmic pecking sequence to make their presence known.

While facts can answer a few questions, and be somewhat interesting, personal observations can also be taken into account.  From the quote above the photo Spurgeon goes on to say 'you shall learn from every living beast, and bird and fish, and insect, and from every useful plant that springs up out of the ground.'

So what have I learned from the woodpecker?

Woodpeckers are beautiful to look at.  But don't let that pretty face fool you.  They are not all innocent.
Woodpeckers are loud.   In a group, which is infrequent but does happen, the sound can be deafening.
Woodpeckers are persistent.  They keep coming back to the same spot and repeating the same actions.

Are there any spiritual applications for me to be made from these observations?  Probably.  However, at 7 am when I am awakened by such annoying unwanted alarm clock it is difficult for me to learn from the ways of the woodpecker.

Perhaps another day!


10 comments:

  1. Love it Alida..they are pretty birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! We've seen one or two of these in ourbackyard in Minneapolis, Minnesota. They are pretty neat!
    Meri
    merigoesround.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. ear plugs are a gift from God, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun facts- I can't believe the end of their tongues are sticky, so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmichele's post made me giggle. Woodpeckers are so pretty. Yet, my love and admiration was put to the test last year on the day the buyers of our 150 year-old house where coming with their inspector. You see, Mr. Woodpecker decided to drill a hole in the wood near an attic window. I was able to shoo him away and he just kept coming back! Thanks for visiting No. 7. I'm following you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All that pecking makes me tired! I love, love, love that analogy! So many things to learn from that bird, who by the way, is gorgeous (as long as its not pecking on your house)!The Bible says God speaks through nature, after all!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! I too have woodpeckers (in the summer) outside of our bedroom window. It can get quite annoying. I liked your post, maybe a have a little more sympathy now!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it was because my mom and dad were always avid bird watchers, I have a healthy obsession myself. I can't imagine if I saw a wood pecker! Great info on them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting!!
    Indeed they are beautiful to look at.You caught him/her beautifully in the picture......
    But what i learned is "don't take "the bird" by the look"....LOL..
    Have an great and blessed week!

    Bernice

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great photo, Alida! You have a good eye at 7am ;)

    ReplyDelete