Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

When we first got here I thought that there were no oranges to be had in this country. I couldn't understand why there was fresh orange juice here but no oranges in the market.  One day we were out with some friends of ours and they drove us near an orange grove. From them I finally learned that not all oranges are orange.

The green fruit in the basket with my bananas is an orange.

Maybe it would be more helpful if the English word for the fruit was not the same word that is used to describe the color.  In Russian the word for the fruit is 'apelsin' but the color is 'oraanjovie'... perhaps that would have lowered my expectations and prepared me to see a green orange.

It was with great apprehension that I peeled my first Belizean orange.  I didn't know what to expect on the inside.  What I discovered was a ripe, juicy, incredibly sweet tasting orange just like I was used to from the states. Maybe even a little sweeter.  I will keep on trying new things and learning about the fruits and vegetables that my neighbors take for granted. 


This week's lessons;
One orange, a few bananas and some cranberry juice make a great breakfast smoothie.
and
Don't be afraid to eat the green oranges!





18 comments:

  1. Wow. I had no idea those existed. I'm glad you found some tasty oranges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great example of how powerful words are - thinking that oranges must be orange because we call them orange --

    Glad you were able to see past the outside to fnd the treasure within!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your picture of the fruit ..... you know, worth the old thousand words thing. It is a funny looking (at least from what we're used to) little thing, looking smart, like a green brain. You are a wonder woman finding what's good for you that's grown locally. I used to try to eat only locally grown food but if it were not for fast refrigerated trucks, I'd never taste orange juice. And I love my O.J.
    I'm a fan of your blog.... always learning something new.
    Hope you're having a discovery week.
    Manzanita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how cool! Green oranges...I would have been confused too! I've lived overseas but the oranges were still orange:) I do love finding "new" fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just can’t judge an orange by it’s cover :)

    The smoothie sounds delicious.

    Happy “JOY” New Year Alida

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you figured that Belize does really have oranges. Funny how we get use to sonething in one country and think it is the same everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont think I've ever seen that anywhere before! How interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow green oranges!!Thats exotic! I hope you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is really cool and after seeing you describe it, I would not mind trying one.
    Happy New Year to you!
    ~Naila Moon

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never seen such an orange. Thanks for showing it to us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you think about it, oranges aren't really orange either. When I think of the color orange, I think more of a pumpkin, or Halloween orange. The fruit is more yellowish orange. But then why don't we call a banana a "yellow"? Yeah, the English language is definitely confusing! Seems like fruit in other countries (especially exotic places like Belize!) always taste better than they do in the States! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's incredible! An orange that's not color orange. Who knew!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simply Amazing. The stuff we can learn is fabulous....although he does look a bit scary,....i would shove him right in a blender and i bet it tastes delish! thanks for sharing lovely!:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for linking up to my first link party - I changed something in the format and lost your link - Im so sorry!! Do you mind linking up again?

    Thanks,

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would have never guessed that for an orange! You found a hidden treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting ~ I need to eat oranges!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That smoothie recipe sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How interesting! It almost looks like an orange that's really old. I applaud you for having the guts to try it! : )

    ReplyDelete