Monday, June 06, 2011

Reflections above the clouds...

Posted by Picasa

I just returned from my time in Texas with my youngest brother and his family.  I am so grateful that I was able to be there.  I even met up with a few highschool friends for lunch one day and had a little 30 year reunion.  I was able to spend some time with my parents who came down from Kansas. I was able to hug on and chat with two of my oldest brother's sons who were there as well.

On the plane ride home I realized how tired I am.  But, I also realized how blessed I am.  We were just devastated when we found out we had to leave Russia.  But, if we had stayed in Russia and not come to Belize I would not have been able to make it my nephew's graduation.  I would not have been there to support Stephen as his oldest child reached this milestone.  I would have missed out on all the joy of the celebration and a chance to bond with the family.

There are sacrifices involved with being a missionary.  And they are not all about giving up the comforts of home in the US.  Many of the sacrifices are related to the loved ones left behind.  I created this blog six years ago to allow our family and friends a glimpse into our daily lives.  It functions well for that.  But it doesn't allow us to be present with all of them.  We have missed births, weddings, funerals, and so many other life changing moments with our family and friends. It is so hard to miss out.  Honestly, it sucks.

The blessing in all of this is that Tom told me to fully enjoy each moment and be present while with my family. And I did that.  I took joy in each and every second, in each and every happening or event, no matter how small.  From painting the center pieces to mopping the kitchen floor.  I treasured each moment because I was able to be there.  I didn't have to miss out that time.  And I am so grateful.

My prayer for anyone reading this is that you would truly take the time to enjoy what is going on around you with those you love.  Don't let the stress of life cause you to miss out on the joy of life with those who are important to you.  Don't let the time slip away and leave you with regrets.

Be one that can say I am so grateful that I _________ and not one that has to say I wish I would have__________.

Promise me.  If you do this, you too will be blessed.



9 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I have taken it to heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post, and a very reminder message you've given us Alida. :-)

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. This was for me today! God bless you. I'm so glad you had a wonderful visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post. I think we often spend so much time preparing for the future that we forget to enjoy the present.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to take in my total moments in life now too. Prior to today, I'd do something, and go ahead and think of my next thing before enjoying what I have with me today.

    Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tears came when I read:

    We were just devastated when we found out we had to leave Russia. But, if we had stayed in Russia and not come to Belize I would not have been able to ....

    Whatever follows that is pure gift, pure blessing. Seeing that the grief and loss were not the end, seeing that they had a deeper purpose, brought you to a deeper place of joy, that's a miracle just for you (and now for us).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post and a message I really needed to be reminded of. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. This touched me. So true. Thank you for the reminder. It so easy to get caught up in the stress and forget the blessings around you.

    Visiting from TRDC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the encouragement. I promise.
    PS - I have lots of friends from Belize and now that i live in LA, i've learned that there's a huge belizean community out here.

    ReplyDelete