Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

I have not done any canning since we left Russia...I am looking forward to making a batch of apple butter once we have a free weekend. This is a repost of the recipe I use to make it. Enjoy!


Crock Pot Apple Butter
12 cups of apples, peeled and cut into small pieces
4 cups sugar
1/3 cup apple juice
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp each, ground ginger, nutmeg, cloves
Mix spices in with the sugar and then place apples, sugar mixture and juice into crock pot and turn it on low and let it cook all night.

In the morning, there will be some liquid that came out of the apples as it cooked. Dip the fruit & liquid out by the cupfuls and place in a blender. Blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Be careful not to put too large a batch in the blender at one time and, because the mix is very hot, do not place the lid completely on the blender, but allow space for steam to escape. After blending a couple of cups from the crock pot, place it in another large bowl. After blending all the contents of the crock pot, return mixture to crock pot.

Cook on high with the lid off until the apple butter is as thick as you want it to be. Place in clean, hot canning jars and place lid on immediately. Tighten jar lid. Place the jars upside down until they are completely cool to help them seal better with all the heat against the seal.






8 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to make some of this stuff. It's so tasty. It's definitely on my list of things to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks intimidating(gourmet). I've never had it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of that before in my life... I don't think I would like it but I may try it for my dad one time! Thanks for the recipe!
    Thanks for visiting the website too! Don't be a stranger...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love anything apple. This recipe sounds great, I will tuck it away until the fall when apples are in season again. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg, that looks incredible! i must try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds amazing Alida!

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A perfect comfort food for Autumn; I can just imagine the wonderful aroma as it bubbles away in the crock pot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Wow! I wonder if I could pull it off! xx

    ReplyDelete