Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Tasty Tuesday





Posted by Picasa

Plantains and mangoes and plums, oh my!

All the fruit trees in our yard are bearing fruit right now.  But, everything is green.  So we don't expect to be eating from these trees anytime soon.  We have been told by our Belizean friends that the plums are best eaten green with a little salt and pepper.  I have not been brave enough to try it yet.  

We are right at the beginning of the rainy season here.  From June to November we will get intermittent showers throughout the day.  We are grateful for the rains and what it is doing for the trees and plants in our yard.  

I can hardly wait for the plantains to ripen... there are several of those bunches all around the tree.  And I am hoping for a bountiful harvest because I'm eager to give this banana jam recipe a try:

Banana Jam
from U Toucan Cook Belize

1 lb ripe bananas
1/2 pint water
juice of one lime
1 lb sugar
1 stick cinnamon
Peel bananas and mash with a fork.  Add the other ingredients and put to boil. 
 Boil slowly until mixture turns a rich red colour.  Pour into jars and cover tightly.

Sounds yummy to me... how about you?



For more Tasty Tuesday posts just click on the button below:




7 comments:

  1. I've never even heard of banana jam! I'm going to have a big cook/bakefest this weekend, and I think this is on the list :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very curious...I think I'll have to try it just to see what it turns out like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of bananas Alida, so this sounds wonderful!

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh....I am thinking banana's flambe!!! sooo good. rum optional (although it does cook off)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Gurl, I can't wait for my mangoes to ripen as well, but the darn monkeys keep eating them. LOL

    Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, I have never heard of banana jam but it sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete