Monday, October 17, 2011

Counting to 1000

Reading Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts, is life changing if you allow it to be.  I found Ann's blog A Holy Experience and I began my counting to 1000 on my other blog that I created while we were stuck in Istanbul waiting to find out about what would be our final Russian visa.

I started counting here on this blog because I want to be intentional about proclaiming the gifts that God so graciously gives us each and everyday.  I have a private list that I keep on paper...this is list I chose to share in public.  May you be inspired to count your gifts in your own way.

327.  a new dining room table and chairs...

328.  enjoying family meals and games around the new table
329.  laughter and talks sitting on the chairs made of various Belizean woods.
330.  rays of sunlight that trickle in through open windows that carry cool breezes into the house.


331. seeing turkeys in the yard next to our office.


332. caretakers who live on the property and are available to open locked doors early on a Saturday morning so that we could pick up the projector to use for Tom's class at Belize Bible Center.



333.  flowers from our yard given to me by Tom just because...


334.  the smile and the sense of wonder at seeing mushrooms growing on a log.




335.  4 new students (bringing the total to 18)

336.  seeing Tom filled with joy as he teaches
337.  learning new things
338.  feeling more relaxed as we settle in to having three of us in the house instead of two.
339.  seeing answers to prayer
340.  Texas Sheet Cake for dessert after Sunday's dinner


341.  the doctor here in Belize confirming that Spencer has no sign of malaria in his body



joining Ann Voskamp and the gratitude community:

19 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by... it is a wonderful blessing to read a few other lists, isn't it? I love to see grace spread out from country to country... child of God to child of God. I saw His grace in your list today, thank you. Blessings as you keep counting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting me today Alida! I'm glad I'm not the only one who just wants to sleep in some Sundays.

    It's so exciting to get a glimpse of what God is doing in the rest of the world. I had to google it to make sure I knew where it was, but I didn't realize Belize was so close to me.

    And that Texas sheet cake is awesome isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, I have friends in Russia who are also part of the counting!

    Stacy, I love Texas sheet cake with a hot cup of tea...divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Texas sheet cake is yum isnt it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for stopping by to visit today, Alida. Hallelujah for the blessings God has given you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful list, Alida! The flowers are beautiful, and how fun to see turkeys in your yard! Rejoicing with you in Spencer's healing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what beautiful flowers! and loving your new dining table and chairs! love to read your blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have my list going, too. Such a gift to count blessings. I haven't read Ann's book, but I bet it is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love that you stopped by today! What an inspirational story you are journaling. Love that you are counting and praising God for turkeys, Texas sheet cake, new tables, unexpected flowers from your husband, learning new things and joy expressed in following God's will!
    Be well,
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this...I always wondered how it was started!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another wonderful list Alida! I especially liked the mushroom photos... The kids and I often take long walks in a nearby forest, and one of our favorite activities is trying to find new and odd fungi and mushrooms sprouting from the forest floor. :-)

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a "traveller" and former ex-pat and missionary kid, I just find your life adventures fascinating. So awesome to read through the gifts in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alida, thanks for visiting my blog today! We too are in our rainy season now, and that's why sun breaks are so welcomed. From looking at your profile, we have many more things in common. I've chosen to follow both our blogs -- I couldn't pick just one! :)

    Blessings on your work in Belize and keep those numbers growing to 1,000!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alida - what a beautiful blog you have. 1 Thess 4:11 is a fav of mine too - although my life is quiet, it is something to strive for a quiet heart. I sense that in you through your writing. Blessings -

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am counting to 1,000, too, each Saturday morning with a group of adorable young women.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how blessing just show up in the simpliest of things. And even moreso, our ability to appreciate them.

    PS...love the new dining table and chairs. with all the yummy recipes you've been pinning, i'm sure there will be some satisfied people sitting around that table!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your list has challenged and inspired me...thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful list. How fun to meet a friend who lives in Belize. I notice things like mushrooms too. :) Thankful for no malaria with you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing your blessings! God is good in SO many ways. Sometimes we just need to stop and take note. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete