Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

I didn't get a chance on Sunday to take a picture of the Texas Sheet Cake that I made...it disappeared too fast!  I did find a photo on line to use as a guide:



Texas Sheet Cake
1 cup water
1 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk or sour cream (I use sour cream when I have it)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp vinegar

Bring to boil in a large saucepan the water, butter and cocoa.  Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients.  Mix well and pour into greased 11x13 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

While cake is baking, make frosting in saucepan.  Combine:
1/2 cup butter
2 tbsp cocoa
1/4 cup milk
Heat to boiling.  Mix in 3 cups powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla.  Pour warm frosting over cake when you take it from oven.

***I was out of butter on Sunday after making the cake so all I could do for the frosting was make a glaze.  I used:

1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp cocoa
milk
Mix cocoa and powdered sugar together and add milk until it's the consistency you prefer.  I made mine a just thin enough to drizzle over the cake.  And it is so good when the icing soaks into the cake.


I have seen several variations of the cake recipe some use vinegar and some don't.  Some recipes add in a little cinnamon and I have done that too and liked it.  Pioneer Woman has a slightly different recipe which I heard is great too.  She calls hers The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake Ever.  The first time I heard of this cake it was called Brownie Sheet Cake...my grandmother made it but she never used a recipe.  So whether it is called Texas Sheet Cake, Brownie Sheet Cake or Chocolate Sheet Cake it really is all the same thing...just don't tell that to your friends from Texas!

Linking up today with Tempt My Tummy
and with




9 comments:

  1. That does look devine...I'm going to have to pin that on my pinterest food board!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that looks yummy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my FAVORITE cakes!!! Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm... Chocolate...

    Alida, I have to tell you, between the recipes I see on your pinterest board and the Tasty Tuesday posts, I'm going to gain ten pounds before the year is over! :-)

    Have a Blessed Day Dear Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this recipe!!

    Yum yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! And this cake I know! I need to bake more often ... I am tired of waiting for others to bake that way I can get the goods, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so good! I STILL haven't had this or made it. I need to take your lead! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This cake is a classic - delicious!

    thanks for stopping by caramelpotatoes.com

    I'm a new gfc follower - hope you'll follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a Texas girl myself, and have eaten this many a time. Glad to have a recipe to try! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete