Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Gluten Free Pizza Crust

 
I heard that Dominoes Pizza now offers a gluten free crust.  But, there is no Dominoes here.  So we have to make our own crusts that are safe for me to eat.

When we first moved to Russia a good pizza was hard to find.  So I learned how to make it myself.  I made the crusts and the guys chose the toppings.    That was part of our Friday night ritual.  And we were happy with my recipe.  But that was before I went gluten free...so it is time for a new recipe.

Our other issue is that Tom has been trying to avoid tomato based sauces.  That part was easy to fix.  I bought some fresh basil and made a pesto sauce.  

I found several different pizza crust recipes online.  I chose the least complicated one I could find and then I had to modify it based on what I had on hand. 

Almond Flour Pizza Crust

2 cups almond flour
2 eggs
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp spaghetti seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp olive oil

Mix all ingredients together.  The dough will be the consistency of cookie dough.   Place dough on wax paper and put another piece on top to roll out thinly.  Transfer to greased pizza pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes and take out of oven and add the toppings* of your choice.  Return to oven for for another 8-10 minutes.  

*I used pesto sauce as the base, then a thin layer of mozzarella, and finished it off with pepperonis.  

This crust had a soft cracker-like texture.  And we really enjoyed it.  It will not be the same as the pizza crusts you are used to but it is tasty and very filling.   The photo above shows the pizza I made...I took a bite before I remembered that I needed a picture.  Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious and simple...my favorite combination!

      Delete
  2. Saw the ad for Domino's gluten-free crust, but there is a caveat there -- it is baked in the same ovens as other pizza crusts, which from my point of view compromises the "gluten-free" claim. Yours sounds yummy. Haven't tried baking with almond flour. Will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if the pizzas were all going into the same ovens...you are right that does compromise the gluten free.

      Delete
  3. Looks great! We just gave up flour in our household just a week ago and we feel so much better. Aches and pains are fading away. It's great to know we can still enjoy a pizza from time to time.
    Thanks Alida this looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What great news! I have been feeling better too since giving up flour...it's amazing that something so simple can make such a big difference.

      Delete
  4. Isn't is wonderful when you figure out another gluten free special meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly, but surely, I am getting this new lifestyle figured out!

      Delete
  5. That looks so good...I would so love to try and make pizza at home:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another yummy recipe! I love making pizza at home {but the crust is usually flour based}. Must give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete