Friday, May 25, 2012

3 things you can do to combat sex slavery

Watching the movie Nefarious: Merchant of Souls reduced me to a blubbering mess.  

It is not a feel good movie.  Not the kind where you sit with a bowl of popcorn, feet up on the couch, and kick back waiting to be entertained.  It is the kind that confronts you with the facts of modern day slavery.   Sex slavery to be specific.

This movie covers everything from initial recruitment to victim liberation.  I learned that trafficking is based on an exploitation of vulnerability.  I learned that in a place like Cambodia you can buy a beer for $4, a bunch of grapes for $5 and a girl for $3 and charge it all to your credit card.  I learned that even in a place where prostitution is legal there are still girls in brothels that have been sold into that lifestyle by their parents.

As we watched I was reminded that all around the world there are women and children being abused, neglected and exploited.   And they need our prayers.  They need advocates brave enough to intervene.  Education and money alone will not stop evil from advancing in this world.  

There is only one Power great enough to overcome evil...let us turn to Him!  

The goal of the Child Development Foundation, the organization we work with,  is to eradicate the commercial sexual exploitation of children here in Belize.  Each week we meet for prayer.  We pray over the different awareness programs we have scheduled, we pray for the counseling clients we see, we pray for the victims of abuse and exploitation, we pray for each other to have the strength and endurance to keep on working.  We pray for the funding we need to keep creating awareness throughout the country and the monies needed to build a safe house here in Belize.  This movie was hard for me to watch but it also showed me that CDF is on the right track in fighting this evil.     

And according to the movie there are some things each of us can do to help fight this battle:



Please join us in prayer for the victims,  pray about what you can do to promote awareness about this issue wherever you are, and pray about becoming a partner with us in this effort.


10 comments:

  1. Alida, my heart aches with yours! I first saw a video clip about trafficking 10 years ago and since then have been trying to help as much as I can.
    Standing with you to pray, spread the word and give.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bonnie! We have been working in this field for just over a year and I keep learning more and more that breaks my heart. But, we have also seen that there is HOPE! I appreciate you standing with us.

      Delete
  2. oh my gosh...I really had no idea. thank you for putting this out there. God bless us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some places it is very well hidden...it is a major problem even in the US.

      Delete
  3. Alida, its so good to write about this. There are so many child slaves, exploited sexually. It will be your child ... Every child is one too much. ( or is it too many - my english is bad)

    Ps I like your name. My second name is also Aleida :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jedidja, I agree with you...each child is one too many. And I like your names too!

      Delete
  4. Alida, I knew very little about human trafficking until reading Deliver Me from Evil by Kathi Macias recently and it really opened my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanda, I will look for that book next time we are in the states.

      Delete
  5. Here in NOrway, prostitution is not allowed, but although is not, there are people who practice that in secret and many women has been abused. Bought from other countries and locken in inside a hidden house for the prostitutes. And it is ver sad. But the saddest thing is although is is not allowed, sex is practice by many as just an act to satisfy oneself and they do it whoever or wherever they want to for free. And for me it is worse than being a prostitute.
    In my homecountry, the pHilippines, many do it just to survive poverty and my heart burns also to help these poor girls. I also pray and help the best way I can for them. Keep up the good work. God is with you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The film show that part about being locked inside of houses and transported from one country to another. It was heartbreaking to watch. My heart burns for them too.

      Delete