Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Gluten Free Chocolate Cake


Have you ever had cake that was made without flour?  Until last week I didn't know such a thing was possible.  My friend, Jadine, treated me to a piece of this yummy chocolate cake.  I was so excited to actually have a tasty dessert that is also gluten free.  She emailed her recipe to me and I was able to bake it last night.  All of the ingredients are easy to find here in Belmopan without going to the health food store or needing to drive to Belize City or Spanish Lookout for an item.

The texture is just like a regular cake and the taste was divine!  Next time I will make some frosting but this time:

I topped mine with powdered sugar...


Spencer loves to top brownies or chocolate cake with peanut butter and chocolate syrup...


He was absolutely thrilled with the cake.and had to have seconds...

If Tom and I had not told him that there were black beans in the mix I don't think he would have noticed the difference. He was just happy to have cake.  He even asked me to invite him over the next time I experiment with a new recipe.  I sure am grateful to have two taste testers who are always enthusiastic about trying new things.




Black Bean Chocolate Cake
1 3/4 cups black beans, cooked, drained and rinsed
5 large eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp coconut oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
6 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. water

Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9" cake pan.
Mix together cocoa, baking powder and soda in a small bowl. Set aside.
In a larger bowl, beat the coconut oil (or butter or margarine) until
fluffy.  Add 2 of the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each
addition.
Put the beans, the remaining 3 eggs, vanilla, sugar, and salt into a
blender or food processor and blend/process until the mixture is
smooth.  Add this mixture to the oil/egg mixture and mix well.
Stir in the dry ingredients and water and beat on high for 1 minute or
until smooth.
Pour into pan and bake 30-35 minutes.  The top of the cake should be
rounded and firm to the touch, and the cake should be pulling away
from the sides of the pan.

12 comments:

  1. Honestly - you can't tell there were beans in it? sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, the first time I tried it no I could not tell there were beans in it. When I made it myself I could tell but I wondered if that was because I knew they were there. But, with frosting or a topping, I used caramel today, I honestly could not taste the beans.

      Delete
  2. This really looks yummy. I am definitely going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Ummmm, I am not sure about this one, I think the beans might trip my taste buds out LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If no one told you that they were there I don't think your taste buds would know the difference!! If you ever make it to Belize I will serve you up a slice :-)

      Delete
  4. It looks delightful but the idea of beans in cake is hard for me to imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...it was hard for me to imagine even while I was making it!

      Delete
  5. I was so excited till I got to the recipe and saw black beans. Unfortunately they don't have those here in S. Africa. But I'm going to pin this recipe to have on hand if ever I find any.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always wanted to try this cake, but wasn't sure if it was good or not. Now I can't wait to make it! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter makes a great cake out of garbonzo beans. I will share this receipe with her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's new and unique one. This is the first time I heard about a black bean chocolate cake. Anyway, it still looks delicious.

    Regards,
    Haley McAdams
    Wisconsin Responsible Beverage Server

    ReplyDelete