Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Thought for Today...Respecting our leaders and praying for them!

Congratulations to President Barack Obama!
Yahoo.com
Let everyone be subject to governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established.  The authorities that exist have been established by God.  Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgement on themselves.  Romans 13:1-2 NIV

I pray that all who claim the name of Christ will choose not to denigrate our president any longer but will instead commit to praying for him.  God has appointed him for a second time as the President of the United States.  All throughout this election process the things I have read and heard Christians say about the president have truly hurt my heart.  I grew up in a military home.  The Commander in Chief was always respected by my father and mother no matter which party he was from.  I cannot even remember my father talking down President Nixon when everyone else around him was doing so.  His signature is on my dad's honorary discharge papers proudly on display in my parents home to this day.

President Obama needs our prayers not our insults or condemnation.  I know that as I write this there are those who are celebrating and those who are grieving. It is important to remember that God was in control these past four years and He will continue to be in control for the next four years and beyond.  There are devoted, Bible believing, Christians in both parties.  Christ is not fully represented by either party.


sojo.net

One party focuses on protecting the unborn and preserving the Biblical view of marriage.  The other party focuses on caring for the least of these...educating, feeding and providing medical care for the poor and disenfranchised.  All of which are godly values.  There is a great article I read entitled 7 Things Christians Need to Remember About Politics.  You can read it by clicking here.  As I read through it this quote stood out for me:
The political process is dirty and broken and far from Jesus. Paranoia and vitriol are hardly attractive accessories for the bride of Christ.  Rather than engage in the political process, Christians have a duty to elevate it. Like any other sin, we are called to stand above the partisan dissension and demonstrate a better way. Should we have an opinion? Yes. Should we care about our country? Yes. Should we vote? Yes. But it’s time we talk politics in a way that models the teachings of Jesus rather than mocks them.


So whether you celebrate or grieve today...let's all pray together for the hearts of our government leaders on the national, state, and city levels.  And as believers let's remember to be loving, kind, and compassionate toward others no matter how we or they voted.


linking up with:


19 comments:

  1. Hey, Alida,

    came here from wordfilled wednesday. Those were the most sensible words I have read from a christian lately. Though I'm from Brazil (and live in Brazil), I prayed for President Obama to win the election, for I believe he is the best for the office at this moment.

    You see, I tend to believe that in the U.S. people see things as black and white when it comes to politics. Such as Republicans are pro-God, and Democrats are anti-Christ. And that's sad!! Thanks for showing me there are still people that may not agree with a Party, but pray for and respect the democratically elected leader.

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priscilla, I truly appreciate your insights. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

      blessings to you,
      Alida

      Delete
  2. You totally put my heart's feelings into words - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and letting me hear that encouragement!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for writing this. I started to post something similar as my Facebook status because the vitriol and hatred was just getting to be too much but words failed me. Thank you for expressing what I could not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was up until four this morning praying about how to say this...and I knew it was way to long for my Facebook status! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Blessings to you, Tiffany. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. AMEN! We are to PRAY daily for our leaders... Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings to you Ms. Kathleen!! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Well said. We pray for everything and forget to pray for our leaders. God always has a reason for permitting things to happen, It is to fulfil His purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen! It's all for His purpose...I truly believe this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said Alida...there is so little respect for him it makes me sad sometimes but then I'm reminded our God is bigger than hatred and disrespect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MrsPancakes, you are so right...God is bigger! And He has a greater purpose in mind than we may ever know.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Amy,
      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Fantastic, excellent challenge to honor who God appoints for His purposes. Excellent reminder that no matter WHAT is going on, or who is in charge (or not) that ultimately God is the One who is truly in charge. So very true, and vital to remember every day.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete