Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Front Door

Walking home in the snow after church, I was cranky because I knew that I had a meal to prepare and not much time to get it done. I was not thrilled that Tom had invited someone over right after church. I love having guests... I just like having some down time after church.

Our dinner guest today was someone from Tom’s AA meeting. This person has been sober for 2 ½ years and had many questions about why we are here. We were asked about church and if it would be okay to attend. Now that there is an AA meeting at the church, there may be others who will be interested in the church. Not all churches here are supportive of 12-step recovery. Yet, as I recall the words Rich Buhler spoke at our Fundraising Auction in California, I realize how true they are. He said, “12 step ministry is the front door of evangelism”.

I am glad that we were all in the kitchen while I cooked. I can look back and think about what a special time that was. The kitchen is an important place in Russian culture. We shared pictures, food, tea and laughs and it was wonderful to get to know this person a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment