Friday, August 26, 2011

Plaza Las Americas

On Sunday after checking out of the hotel in Orange Walk Town we hit the road to go Chetumal, Mexico... just across the Belize-Mexico border.  Our friend, Ritchel, agreed to go with us so we had someone who knew the ropes and who speaks Spanish fluently.

Leaving Belize

Entering Mexico

 View as we crossed the bridge

Father and son selling cold water ...
I wish I could have gotten a shot of the" no vendors on the bridge" sign

We didn't drive around the city much because we only had one destination in mind for this short trip.  With Ritchel's help we drove straight to Plaza Las Americas a shopping center we had heard so much about.  



 I chose to eat at Mickey D's because I was in need of a taste from home.

Tom and Ritchel chose the Cajun Grill

Tom and I shopped for the things that we had on our simple list, a harness for Harley from the pet shop, 100% cotton yarn for me, and some office supplies from Office Depot.  It was easy to find everything we were looking for. 


Maybe next time we will try going to a movie!

We were told that most of the time the movies are in English with Spanish subtitles.  

I think we may have set a record for the shortest trip to another country.  Shopping with two men meant that we hunted down what we needed and then left.  Next time maybe we'll stay a day or two and check out more of the city and the local cuisine.  The women at church were thinking of making the trip...and that would be fun!

8 comments:

  1. Funny when we were in Mexico two weeks ago we met a man from Belize and he said the same thing about how quick it is to get from Mexico to Belize!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a really easy drive...about 2 1/2 hours. I can hardly wait to go again and see more of Chetumal and maybe even drive on to Cancun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great trip! TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how fun even if it was a short trip ... when you get out to do something like that it is always a good time!

    we do the same thing when we travel ... when we want a taste from home we eat McDonalds, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say...i've never been on that short of a trip but it looked and sounded quite adventerous!:) I'da picked Mc'd's too:) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is too neat being able to hop over into Mexico! Love that McD's is everywhere in the world...except for Africa...at least i didn't see one when i was in Ghana!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mickey D's! LOL! You sound like me! I would have done the same thing! Although I love every chance I get to try local cuisine of where I am, I am also drawn to Mickey D's when I am there for a while. There's just something about good ole comfort food :) I totally understand the in and out shopping too... hubby is kinda like that when him and I go shopping. Next time have to make it a girls day out or something :) When I was in Italy a few years ago I went to the cinema and saw an American film and it was in Italian it was awesome! I didn't understand hardly any of the words but it was great to hear it spoken in another language. :)

    ReplyDelete