Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

I had a Belizean friend ask me if I know how to make Stewed Chicken...I had to admit that even though we have eaten it many times at events here in Belize I have yet to cook it.  Since we have been here almost a year I need to remedy that....so here is a recipe that I am going to try:


Stewed Chicken
3 lbs. of chicken legs and thighs
1 onion
1 green pepper
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon of powdered recado
1/4 tsp vinegar (or enough to form a paste)
2 Tablespoons of Marie Sharp’s Belizean Season All
2 teaspoons of Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
2 cups water (about)
2 limes, juiced

Instructions:
Add lime juice to a bowl of hot water. Wash chicken pieces in the lime water and pat dry.
Saute onion, sweet pepper and garlic with some olive oil in a large stock pot until lightly browned and set aside.
Mix recado with with vinegar and rub onto the chicken pieces. Also rub 2 Tablespoons of the Belizean Season All to the chicken.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet and brown the chicken pieces. After browning the chicken pieces add them to the large stock pot with the onion, pepper and garlic mixture. Add just enough water to leave about 2 inches of the chicken uncovered. Add salt and pepper to the stew. Turn the chicken occasionally while simmering for about an hour (or longer). Cook until the chicken is tender.


I think this is one of those recipes that each woman does a little differently here so I may make a few modifications to the recipe depending on what ingredients I have here in the house.  

It is usually served with rice and beans and a fried plantain....Yum!





                                                          



7 comments:

  1. How fun to learn to cook local.

    Fondly,

    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did it again Alida... Now I'm hungry! :-)

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The house is smelling so good right now!! I can hardly wait until it's all ready for us to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fried plantain! yummy...sure the chicken will taste great too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yum! i love stewed chicken! another recipe to add to the very long list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks really good.

    ReplyDelete