Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Tasty Tuesday



So that meant jam making time!

We ended up with 6 of these 1/2 pint jars.  


Alida's Plantain Jam
12 plantains, ripe
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
juice of 1 lime
1 tsp. cinnamon

Put all of the ingredients into the crock pot and cook for about 4 hours on low.  Allow to cool slightly and then place mixture in blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Place in clean, hot canning jars and place lid on immediately.  Tighten jar lid.  Place the jars upside down until they are completely cool to help them seal better with the heat against the seal.  

It was quite a thrill to be able to use fruit from our yard.
And we are fortunate that the mixture even made it into the jars...we had to taste test it, you know!

click on the button to find other Tasty Tuesday posts:


11 comments:

  1. another great Tasty Tuesday... I am on week 2 of SlimFast diet and I almost avoided your blog today because I knew you'd have a tasty treat!! almost avoided......turns out, I like temptation! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Sounds great! I love plantain anything! But espeically in my Cuban food :D I'll will definitely be trying your jam recipe next! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy yummy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought of using plantains as jelly. looks yummy. we might have to give your recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds really yummy. Happy to have found and followed you through Tasty Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know Alida, I don't know that I've ever had plantains, but this looks quite tasty!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have only had plaintains once. We were in Costa Rica and I had plaintain chips. They were SO YUMMY. Do they have any of those in Belize?

    ReplyDelete
  8. They really are tasty and sweet if you let them get ripe!

    @Missy- I have seen the plantain chips at the store but haven't tried them yet. Guess I need to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pick for Tasty Tuesday. Happy to be a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've never heard of plantain jam ... absolutely love plantains so i am sure i would love the jam! so awesome to use food you've grown on your own!

    ReplyDelete