Monday, March 26, 2012

Mementos make a house a home...

We have been in this house for over a year.   

Usually it takes me much longer than 12 months to make a 'nest'.  Growing up in a military family I got used to moving around.  And Tom and I have also made our share of moves over the 30 year life of our marriage.  

This weekend we realized that we needed to get some personal items on the walls and truly make this house a home.  We don't own much...the boxes we packed  up in Russia and will never receive contained many of the gifts and treasures from our travels. 

But, I still have a few crosses.  Enough to call a collection. 
And we have the gift of memories that no one can ever steal from us.

As I continue counting to One Thousand Gifts I choose to add these blessings to my list:

582. the gift of precious moments and the memories we share as a family.



583.  a treasure from island of Cyprus made by the ladies of Lefkara


584.  remembering time spent in Rome babysitting for a dear friend


585.  collecting bamboo on the shore during our 30th Anniversary trip to Maya Beach


586.  the incredible depth of His Amazing Grace


587.  a precious treasure given to Tom by Alexei before we left Russia

588.  Tom helping me with repairing the cross I made

and a few gifts from daily life:
589.  Going out for ice cream with Gene and Liz after Bible study Wednesday evening.

590.  Lunch with Patty and Max after church on Sunday.

591.  Enjoying an episode of Amazing Race with Tom and Spencer that was filmed in Azerbaijan.

592.  sunsets that take my breath away.

and gifts found in the Word:

593.  He will strengthen us when needed Isaiah 41:10
594.  His goodness 1 Chronicles 16:34
595.  His righteousness  Psalm 7:17
596.  that He increases the power of those who are weak Isaiah 40:28-29
597.  His perfect faithfulness  Isaiah 25:1
598.  that He watches over us  Psalm 121
 599.  He knows us intimately Psalm 139:1-5, 13
600.  that His promises never fail  Joshua 23:14




 joining in with the gratitude community:

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful Alida !!!!!I hope to send you one from India !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Beautiful Alida, I love the cross with all of the figures on it. I like crosses too. What happened to your things you shipped from Russia? We just received our personal things we shipped to Belize this weekend. I look forward to getting back to Belize in 8 days and getting to see all of my things. It will be like Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your crosses there - what a great idea to adorn your house with them. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful list! your crosses and the memories behind them are wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alida, love seeing your crosses -- such beautiful mementos. And I love your list from the Word at the end of all the other goodness that fell along your pathway this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sunsets/sunrises take my breath away too ! Their beautiful. I love your cross collection, especially the bamboo one (I'm a sucker for bamboo). God bless :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an inspiring collection of things to be grateful for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS and thanks for the reminder to go add to my list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your collection of crosses... beautiful! I love collecting them too! Gorgeous sunset. Wonderful list of gifts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you still have your crosses even though the rest of your mementos didn't make it from Russia. May the Lord give you creativity to keep making the place more "your own." I want to do that at my house too. Just two years there, but I haven't made much progress beyond the light decorating I did when we first moved in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We too have found many ways to make nests, all over the world, serving in missions as a family. Enjoy making your house a home and filling it with all kinds of true treasures.

    Splashing around in God's goodness today ... Had to stop by and wade in this glorious place. Hope you don't mind if I stay a bit and let joy soak deep down.

    Splashin'
    Sarah

    http://justsarahdawn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete