Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sugarcane and peanuts...an afternoon snack!

Frequently when we are in the office at CDF there is a man who comes by selling sugarcane and peanuts.  We have always smiled at him and said  "no, thank you".  On this particular day we decided to say "yes".

Tom and I are not new to seeing peanuts in the shell so we didn't need a tutorial on how to eat them.  But, neither one of us had ever tried sugarcane before so we had to ask what to do.  One of the girls in the office, Shelly,  taught us to just chew on the sugarcane but not actually eat it.  She even claimed it was good for cleaning your teeth.  Her statement made me curious about the benefits to eating sugarcane...so I turned to Google to investigate.

According to LIVESTRONG.com
Raw sugarcane has fewer calories than refined sugar and contains no saturated fat, cholesterol or sodium. Per teaspoon, raw sugarcane provides 2 percent of the daily value for carbohydrates needed for muscles and brain cells. Sugarcane's juice is a source of iron for the production of hemoglobin; B vitamins, especially niacin and B-6; and calcium, magnesium and phosphorus for strong bones and potassium, essential for the proper functioning of the body's cells, tissues and organs.

And the article goes on to say "that antioxidants in some sugarcane concentrates exceed that of many existing commercial antioxidant supplements and many natural foods including prunes and raisins".

I really love it that we enjoyed something fun to eat, lightly sweet, and that it is actually good for you.


7 comments:

  1. Did not know anything about sugarcane, I would have thought it was high in sugar. I love how I discover new things every day......will start looking for sugarcane!
    Have a lovely day Alida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. too cool Alida....Sugarcane on our grocery shelves uhmmmm guess I will just have to make a trip to see you....save me a bite ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. we use sugar cane in our coffee -- so so good. but gotta be careful with the peanuts around here, a little girl I babysit is highly allergic. and I love peanuts too. the combo of sweet and salty is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in SC and we would get a stalk of sugar cane at least once every summer. My parents would cut up the stalk and we'd sit on the porch chewing all yummy sweetness out of it. I haven't had it in years. Though I like chewing the raw cane, I have never been a fan of other sugar cane products like syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sweet/salty combo...wish I had someone stopping by with goodies for an afternoon snack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now for some reason that looks good to me. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a little girl, my dad (who was an automotive mechanic) worked at a cane press to make extra money during the cane harvest. Every evening he would come walking down the road carrying a long cane. We would all sit on the porch while he peeled it and gave pieces to all six kids to chew. Thanks for bringing back a lovely memory of my dad.

    ReplyDelete