Saturday, April 12, 2008

Boundaries Week 1

Today was the first day of a three week series Tom is doing on Boundaries!

We had a great turnout…there were 23 of us not counting the kids in childcare!





The big highlight for today was a list of our “Assertive Rights”. This list made for a lively discussion during small group time as some of these go against the culture here. It was interesting to hear how many people thought that they were doing very well setting boundaries until Tom gave them this list!!

My Assertive Rights

1. I have the right to be responsible for my own actions.

2. I am not responsible for the actions of any other adult.

3. I have the right to make mistakes.

4. I have the right to be myself.

5. I have the right to be treated with respect.

6. I have the right to have and express my feelings, thoughts, and opinions.

7. I have the right to say “NO” and not feel guilty.

8. I have the right to change my mind.

9. I have the right to say “I don’t know”.

10. I have the right to feel and express anger appropriately.

11. I have the right to have my needs be as important as the needs of others.

12. I have the right to do things that other people may not approve of.

13. I have the right to ask “Why?” or “Why not?”

14. I have the right to ask for assistance.

15. I have the right to say, “I don’t understand”.

3 comments:

  1. any word on another ladies study? You got me hooked! - RJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. #12 is a biggie with my hubby's family. We do many things (like homeschool) which they do not approve of and they have had to learn that we have the right to do it even if they don't approve!

    Great list. I'm going to print it out and post it by my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list. This sounds like Townsen and Cloud boundaries. This is good stuff! I hope it is not too hard to teach in a church setting. It is hard for them to receive if religion dictates differently.
    I hope your doing well.:)

    ReplyDelete