Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Cream Cheese Pancakes...

Are you looking for gluten free or low carb pancakes?  If so, you should give these a try!

One of the articles I read on Fibromyalgia and diet suggested that some of us with fibromyalgia could benefit from a gluten free diet.  Before making a complete switch I decided to do some research to see what I could and couldn't eat.  


I started a collection of gluten free recipes on Pinterest and this one sounded like a winner.  The recipe was very easy to follow and the pancakes very simple to make.  Well, I take that back... I did find them a little difficult to flip at first and it took a few pancakes for me get the hang of it.

You can find the original recipe here.  Being outside of the US it is not always easy to find specialty ingredients, like Stevia, as the recipe calls for.  So I used cane sugar instead and added vanilla.  So my recipe is this:

Cream Cheese Pancakes
2 ounces of cream cheese
2 eggs
1 tsp of cane sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Put all ingredients in the blender or (use a stick blender) and blend until smooth.  Let rest until the bubbles settle.  Pour desired amount of mix into a hot pan, lightly greased, or sprayed with cooking spray.  Cook a few minutes until golden on the first side and then flip and cook for another minute or so.  Makes 4 medium sized pancakes.

***

I read through some of the comments on the original recipe post and saw that others had made modifications to the recipe as it suited them. One person used mascarpone cheese and protein powder which she said made them a little fluffier.  Another person used honey instead of the stevia.   Some people omitted the sugar altogether.  I may play around with the recipe a bit more myself.  I liked them but wanted the texture to be more like a traditional pancake.  These were more like a crepe to me.  I may try adding a bit of rice flour in my next batch and see how that turns out.  

If you give them a try or have other suggestions let me know!

7 comments:

  1. Alida, I'd love these just because they have cream cheese in them! They look really good and I can't wait to make them :) I'd love for you to share these at my party:

    http://www.flourmewithlove.com/2012/04/mix-it-up-monday_08.html

    I hope to see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Alida - my husband and I have decided to follow a high protein low carb diet for the sake of health! I must say, I never am hungry now! Pancakes are a real treat for me so I might give these a try! :)
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not belie those ingredient create a pancake. I might have to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look yummy! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What and interesting combo to make pancakes! I just love to try new things I bet they're creamy goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My better half is counting carbs and loves pancakes. This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alida, I have also recently looked into cutting wheat out of my diet for health reasons. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete