CDF had such a great turn out on Saturday. 30 pastors and youth workers showed up for the seminar. Many of them had never attended a CDF event before and it was exciting to see new faces and make new connections here in Belize.
The three speakers for the day, Diana, Tom, and Jadine, covered several topics; what sexual abuse is, reporting requirements and laws, the effects of abuse and how to help, and how to talk to young people about sexual issues. We were impressed with the types of questions that were asked throughout the day and the strategies that the small groups came up with for dealing with children, parents, the police, and the church.
God truly blessed this event and we pray that lives will be touched through the educational efforts of CDF and through the participants as they use what they learned!
As I reflect on our weekend I have these gifts to cherish:
651. The well used Bible of a youth leader...
652. lively small group discussions...
654. Tom teaching on the effects of abuse...
655. and how to help
656. a child who was able to occupy herself while her mother attended the seminar...
Gifts from the week:
657. a friend of Tom's stopping by to play in the office
658. stepping out to learn Spanish.
659. enjoying time with my classmates.
660. understanding that mastering Spanish would allow us to work with Spanish speaking clients without needing an interpreter.
661. working on articles for the CDF blog.
662. a change in my diet that gives me more energy and less pain.
663. the gift of surrendering to the discipline of eating to feel better.
664. Listening to my brother's reports on KFDI as he was out chasing tornadoes in Kansas on Saturday.
665. talking with my parents in Wichita and knowing they are safe. They had a small amount of water leak into the basement and nothing else.
666. the technology that allowed me to stream a Kansas radio station online here in Belize.
667. an inspiring and challenging message from Pastor Dan on Sunday about the purpose of suffering along with Philip's presentation on the persecuted church.
668. a quote from Sunday's message: Being religious is easy...being a Christian is hard."
and some gifts found during my time in the Word:
669. He will not leave us as orphans John 14:18
670. His example of humility Philippians 2:5-8
671. His word equips us to work for Him 2 Timothy 3: 16-17
672. He prayed for us John 17:20
673. He nailed that which stood against us to the cross Colossians 2:13-15
joining in with the gratitude community: