Monday, September 17, 2007

langauge acquisition

Monday, September 17, 2007

We had a leadership meeting at church tonight, Tom didn't make it to the meeting because he needed to rest after spending the afternoon in class.

It is still difficult to sit through a long meeting in Russian when there is still so much I don't understand. Of course I had a general understanding of what was being discussed but now and then words were used that I didn't know. I could hire a translator but the danger in that is becoming dependent on having things translated for me.

At one point in the meeting Tim asked me if I wanted to share my desires for the church... I appreciated that. And yet, I felt like I was working so hard to understand the discussion that I didn't have the energy to formulate my own thoughts on the subject.

I called Joy after I got home and told her how I felt about the meeting, she told me that there are four steps in languge acquisition:

1) the ability to Understand
2) the ability to Read
3) the ability to Write
4) the ability to Speak

I felt encouraged after that conversation. I know that two years ago I could not have sat through a two hour meeting period. Tonight I understood about 75% of what was going on. It is easier to comprehend one person at a time then it is a large group!

3 comments:

  1. How is Tom's surgery recovery going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. he has good days and not so good days... yesterday was one of those days where he was too tired to do anything other than school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are incredible. I find it hard to understand what is going on in a two hour meeting entirely held in English!

    Still praying for Tom.

    ReplyDelete