Monday, May 30, 2011

bonding between women..

One of the ladies who attends our little fellowship does nails.  Works of art in my opinion.  She asked me if I had a color in mind and since I didn't she just decided on her own what to do.  These are not decals.  She painted each design free hand.  I admired her passion for her work and her gentleness with me.

I have to admit this is not something I normally take the time to do.  After all as a missionary I should be devoted to more serious pursuits, right?  Like investing in the lives of people.  This gal has had her share of life struggles.  She has 4 children.  The father of her youngest son was recently killed.

Something told me I needed to spend some time with her away from church.  So I drove over to her salon; which is a hole in wall that was not easy to find.  She beamed with joy at seeing me.  We chatted a bit.  And then I left with toes done and a sense of a new stage of relationship between us.  At church today she drew me close and whispered for me to come by and see her again.

A few of the other women had also gotten pedicures that week.  And we all stood around showing off our toes, talking about hair and, you know, bonding.  The pedicure cost me $5 USD.  But, I think it was worth so much more.  And time will tell just how much of a return that investment will yield.

13 comments:

  1. I love them. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it, i've got nail pens and do flowers for my girls.. i thought it would be a good way to start conversations with my girls and their little friends as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! God bless that woman. I agree that $5 was cheap. I love the way you look at people. I wish more people where like you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your toes look amazing! She does do amazing little works of art! And I'm sure the friendship made, and the time spent bonding was worth every penny :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One never knows where a seed will be planted, do they? She did an amazing job...nail art indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work! I wish I had fancy toes now! (and btw, you have great toes too)

    God bless her...life is so hard sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That makes me want to get a pedicure before we go back to the US next week. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. FABulous toes! I wish we had known about this when I was visiting with my poor plain toes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good investment in your toes and people.

    fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I call it "getting out of the box" to let God be God! I know I for one sometimes try to stay within this certain box and how it limits God working through me. As a teacher of God's Word sometimes I forget to just " relax and let his love light and life shine" in just a every day normal activity...like the bonding between women.
    Enjoyed your post...thanks for dropping by and admiring the Splash of color beauty the Lord has blessed me with ...and btw the artist is superb...awesome talent ....

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute... Love your nails! Wish I could swing by and go with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you're right about it being a work of art! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute! And any way you can connect with people is great!

    ReplyDelete