Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

Yesterday was a holiday here in Belize.  It was Commonwealth Day... it used to be a day to celebrate the British Queen's birthday and now it is a celebration of belonging to the Commonwealth of Nations.

We noticed that businesses closed up on Saturday for the three day weekend.  A while back I discovered that Farmer's Trading Center, a Mennonite supermarket, is on Facebook.  They are located in the village of Spanish Lookout about a 20 minute drive from Belmopan.

photo from FTC website
I happened to see an update on Facebook from them saying that they would be open today... on a national holiday.  What smart business people they are!  The store was busy when we arrived.  They were using all four checkout lanes and we actually had to wait in line for the first time.



We found some interesting things in the produce section like huckleberries:



and lychee:




Both of which we chose not to buy... we opted for more traditional things like avocados, corn on the cob, bananas, and lemons.  And if the lemons had not been labeled I would not have known they were lemons because like the oranges I wrote about a while back (click here)  the lemons were also green.

We found everything we needed on our list and a few things that were not on the list but we felt like we needed them anyway!  After our shopping trip we came home and I made dinner from our haul at the supermarket; barbecued ribs and corn on the cob.

To have tasty ribs in just 4 hours put 2 1/2 pounds of ribs in the crockpot and cover with about a half a bottle of barbecue sauce and set on high.  Your reward will be falling off the bone meat and a house that smells divine.


Oh and we even got to Skype with Spencer...Yeah, it was a great holiday!!


To check out other Tasty Tuesday posts just click on the button:





5 comments:

  1. Those berries look yummy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ribs....yummmm...now I know what will be our first BBQ in our backyard! We even grill the corn on the cob. Sounds like you had a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the green orange. I'm glad that you're more adventerous than me, because I would be too scared to try out anything that didn't look "normal" to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the smell of ribs slow-cooking in sauce... :-)

    Have a Blessed Day Alida!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am going to make the ribs like that!!

    ReplyDelete