Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

One of my favorite restaurants here in Belize is Bird's Isle.  It sits on it's own little island. Located in Belize City; it is one of those places that we had to have someone else drive us to the first time.  Now we can find it on our own and we try something new each time we are there and have not been disappointed.

We took Nathan there when he was with us:

We have enjoyed eating simple things there.  The burgers are great!  Nathan ordered fried shrimp, Tom had grilled shrimp and I had chicken.  Yeah, kinda boring.

Bird's Isle has an incredible harbor view:


and a great atmosphere:


 Even the view from where we parked our car was awesome:



As I was looking online for a link to Bird's Isle Restaurant I came across various reviews but they don't seem to have a website of their own.  I found several blog posts about the place and one of them stood out above the rest.

Megan, who writes a blog called My Bohemian Life has an adventurous spirit and she doesn't seem to be afraid of trying new things.  I found a [blog post] of hers where she describes eating gibnut.  This is not a regular item on the menu.  Megan got a special heads up when it became available.

Megan's photo
This dish looks tasty and here is her description of the dish from her post on May 13th :
 The meat was prepared in a stew and the first bite was tender like pork, but with much smaller bones that I had to work around. Gibnut is gamey, but not like rabbit. It’s white meat, but not like chicken. Essentially, gibnut tastes like gibnut.


I am just amazed.
 I don't think I could eat it.

 I mean he is too cute to eat...don't you think?
Megan's photo
 I have bookmarked Megan's blog so I can read more of her Belizean adventures... I hope you do too!


and for more Tasty Tuesday post just click on the button below!









8 comments:

  1. This place looks amazing! What a view to eat by!I don think I could eat poor Mr. Gibnut either... he is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful view. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed an awesome ocean view. Just thinking about it makes me think I can smell the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I learned of the existence of gibnut. Too cute! Those views are incredible and made me wish I was there. I just want to jump off the side of the restaurant straight into the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to meet you there for lunch, Alida.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. that place looks awesome! what a stunning view to dine on. And since I am from the land of hunters and anglers....I would totally try the gibnut. I have already tried alligater, shark and sushi....although they certainly are not as cute.
    So look forward to Tasty Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post makes me want to go on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful environment to enjoy a meal in! I'm with you though... Not sure about the gibnut. lol

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think it's too cute to eat, but it does look too much like a rodent for me to imagine eating it - yuk.

    But then again, when I look at cows I don't think "Steak". If I wasn't hypoglycemic and anemic and could be healthy on a vegan diet, I totally would. Mostly.

    ReplyDelete