Sunday, May 06, 2007

out of the mouths of babes!

Tom spoke at the service last night and again this morning. The third service got cancelled due to the weather.

Spencer and I worked with the younger kids. He had the 1st and 2nd graders and I had the 3rd-5th graders. It was a blast to see their reactions to to our talks.

One little girl asked me if there was any food in Russia that I did not like. I told her that was a good question. Then I asked the kids if they liked jello. Every hand in the room went up. I told them to imagine that their jello had chicken or roast beef in it. There was a collective "EWWW!" that rose up in the room. I explained that meat jello is called "holidelnik" and so far it is the only dish that I didn't really like!

Marilyn M. was leading the class and she explained to the kids that 75% of Russians are alcoholic. Since we had 25 kids in the room she asked 5 kids to stand up... then she told the kids that the 5 people standing were the only ones in the room who were not alcoholic. One little girl put her hands on the sides of her face and said:

"But, I don't wanna be an alcoholic!"

Spencer asked his group if they had any questions and one little girl raised her hand and said:

"I like to eat the white part out of the Oreos"!

We truly enjoyed spending time speaking with the kids. We showed off Spencer's Marvel Comic Books that are in Russian. And we shared with them about living in a different country. We shared what our frustrations are and what our successes are. We talked little bit about the economy and compared Krasnodar to Andover.

Spencer and I were both disappointed that the last service was cancelled. He was asked to speak to the kindergarten as well as the 1st and 2nd grades. We were each looking forward to what the next classes would have to say!

2 comments:

  1. That is so cute! I'll bet they will remember your family well now!

    Hope the weather eases off. =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a hoot to be with the kids. And I wonder if that little girl went home and told her mother "teacher said that I am an alcoholic!"

    At least Marilyn will be there to clear that up if that happens!

    ReplyDelete