Monday, January 02, 2012

continuing to count the gifts in 2012

When I sat down to think about the days following Christmas I realized that the holidays bring the pace of life to an even slower beat than usual. We are learning these rhythms of Belize, holiday by holiday, as we go along.

Today and yesterday have been cool and rainy. The birds are calling back and forth. That is about the only sound on the street other than the occasional burst of fireworks.

Our neighbors are beginning to return from visiting their families in various villages and towns.  This is Spencer's last week full time with  us.  He will be moving to the YWAM base in Banana Bank to serve out there for the next ten months.  We are grateful for the three months he spent with us...but we knew he would be moving on to where he feels called.

My word for 2011 was joy.  I learned the joy of transition, the joy of flexibility and the joy of  living out our calling.  We spent this year serving at three different churches.  Speaking, teaching and preaching.  Learning more about the culture and getting accustomed to life.  We had never gone that long without a church home...and it was weird.  Finally, our service here was narrowed down to the counseling center at the Child Development Foundation and Tom teaching at Belize Bible Center.  As our counseling load grew we knew we were exactly where we supposed to be.  That realization was a joy in itself.

As I continue to count the gifts in 2012 I have also chosen a new word.  A word that reflects what I need to do and how I need to live.  I need to let go of Russia and fully embrace Belize.  I need to open my heart and soul to where I am right now.  I need to experience the joy of Surrender.  Not the kind of surrender that is giving up but the kind that means accepting.  Giving absolute control to a Power greater than myself so that I can fully live for Him.

471. The fullness of His love makes it worth it all.



472. raindrops on budding flowers

473. dogs who drink rain water off the porch

474.  driving through Corozal on our way to Chetumal, Mexico.

475.  my first time driving across the border of Belize and into Mexico

476.  meeting up with an online friend and her husband

477.  Spencer being so excited to make a new friend and add another countries stamp to his passport.

478.  Tom having a good time with our new friends too!

480.  A beautiful cutting board made from a 100 year old piece of mahogany wood.

481.  attending a multi-ethnic church and feeling at home
482.  listening to Spencer laugh in his room
483.  hearing Tom yell with excitement while watching an NBA game
484.  having people call us friends here in Belize
485.  smelling soup boiling on the stove on a nippy January day.

486.  the joy of surrendering to a new chapter!




joining in with the gratitude community:

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you've shared. God has been working in my heart and, for the first time, I have a word for the year. Mine is 'HOPE'. I thought of the same word you have this year but God made it very plain to me how He was leading me. I shared some of it on my blog today.

    Wishing a New Year that is filled with more blessings than you can count!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this.. Happy New year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yours always brings a smile to my face. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the chapter quote in the box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I like the "can't start a new chapter in your book if you continue to read the previous chapters.....wow ...moving on now ... LOL ...always always love to find your smile...it is a bright spot in blogspot.....thankful the Lord led me to your blog ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are beautiful...I might need a word for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Surrender is a beautiful word for 2012, Alida. Thanks for sharing. I also feel I'm in a place of letting go of past ministry in order to surrender to what God has for me now.

    I'm also counting the gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will totes love you hard if you'll give up that cutting board for a tidy sum.

    Happy New Year to you to sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK- I cannot imagine anything that would make me give up that cutting board!!

    ReplyDelete