Thursday, January 26, 2012

Determination today...better health tomorrow!

On Monday, I got to work and realized that I had forgotten the power cord for my computer.  Our first client of the day was male so I knew that I had time to dash home to get it.  Tom suggested that I walk instead of using the car.  I was a bit put out...I mean it was only a five minute drive.  Then I thought about it.  The walk would be good for me.  And we were getting low on gas and pay day was not until the end of the month.  

So, I walked home.  

When I got to the house 15 minutes later I realized that the walk was not horrible.  It didn't kill me. I used the time to refocus and reflect.  I was able to throw a load of laundry into the washing machine, drink a cup of tea, and write in my journal for a bit.  I changed out of my cute shoes and put on my walking shoes and went back to work with the cord for my computer and a new attitude.

And I have been walking daily since then.  

Tuesday, I walked to the post office and stopped by the market to pick up some fruit.  Yesterday, we walked over to the counseling office to pick up some copies from the secretary.  Belmopan is a small city.  The first four months we got by without a car.  We got around the city either by foot or on the bikes graciously donated to us by a couple in Nebraska. It takes longer to walk or bike but it is doable...especially since we are now into the dry season.  

There are some health benefits to walking.  
I have been feeling better physically, my mind is clearer, my mood is lighter. 


I know it will take a while for me to make walking a habit but I know that if I put my mind to it I can do it.  Tom has been walking five days a week for several weeks now.  He is determined.  I respect that.  And his faithfulness is admirable and contagious. 

Determination today will lead to better health tomorrow.
What are you determined to do for better health?
 

14 comments:

  1. I need this reminder. In the past 4-5 years I've spend so much energy dealing with my husband's illness and other things that drained my energy. I've become completely sedentery. I need to get back to walking and biking again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to get derailed...because life happens. The last two years have been hard for us as well.

      Delete
  2. I love being outside doing almost anything active. It just makes you feel so darn good. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Chandra. It truly does feel good to be more active again!

      Delete
  3. I live in a neighborhood where many things are within easy walking distance. Some time ago, I realized that I was driving to places that I could easily walk to. When I considered how long it took me to find a place to park, I realized that I could often get to my destination faster on foot! Even when it takes extra time to walk, it gives us a chance to notice our surroundings, appreciate our blessings, and have a little private time, all while helping our bodies be healthier. Great post. I'm going to walk somewhere today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right...noticing our surroundings is a big plus too. I hope you enjoy your walk today!

      Delete
  4. Great post. Your title "Determination" caught my eye because that is the name of the charity marathons we have for the American Cancer Society. If your walking shoes feel like going a step further, you should consider it, although I'd have to investigate if there's a marathon near you. :) Happy Walking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there is a Marathon here in Belize I would love to give it a try!!

      Delete
  5. I live in a neighborhood where so many things are in walking distance that I also walk a lot. Your post captured perfectly how it lightens my mood. It's cold and rainy here now, but I'm still trying to make it out most days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing how some neighborhoods have thing that are in walking distance?!

      My husband started his walks during the rainy season...usually here there are short breaks in the daily rainfall. I wasn't as brave as him!

      Delete
  6. wow good for you...my employer is 40 miles away, mail comes to my door, grocery shop after work, leave house at 7:15 a.m. and do not get back home until 7:00pm....long day it is dark and I AM NOT WALKING IN THE DARK...BUT I admire you for doing so and praying that somehow my schedule will change enough I can begin to walk...I agree it is a marvelous attitude changer which then changes the mood....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda, I know how hard it is when work and everything is so far away. I remember having to use the treadmill at a gym after my kids went to bed when we lived in California. Nothing was in walking distance there either.

      Delete
  7. Go, Alida.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete