Friday, January 13, 2012

God, grant me the serenity to accept my cravings!

Does the Serenity prayer work for sugar addicts lovers?  I am trying to understand my cravings.  What they mean and why I have them.  I went five days without sugar or caffeine.  And that is probably a good thing.  

My headache is gone.  I am not as tired.  The fog has lifted.

Today I promised to have tea with a friend.   And Tom and I are attending a banquet tonight.  What temptations will I have to face?  I am not sure.  I know that moderation is the key.  Before the holidays I would only bake once a week.  I didn't feel compelled to eat a cookie or indulge with a candy bar everyday.  I was able to keep treats in the treat category and not move them into the field of entitlement.

You know how the entitlement thing goes right?  
I deserve this because... 
 I earned this because...

I find that I can talk myself into or out of whatever I want to talk myself into or out of. 
Don't we all? 
 Or is it just me?

During my year of Surrender I am looking at my eating habits.  My goal is to have freedom with restraint.  To set limits and stick to them.  That is why I took the sugar break.  To get my mind right.   To refocus. To pray about this year with a clear head.  And I made it through.

Even with a Butterfinger candy bar in the freezer...I didn't cave.  
I set a realistic goal for myself knowing that I had the power to reach the goal if I really wanted to.  
And I did.

Next week I am thinking of giving up bread...that one might actually be harder!

12 comments:

  1. Good for you! That is so awesome! I have yet to tell myself to give up sweets. I can now go days {meaning no more than 7} without sweets but I know that if I tell myself I can't have something, I think about it all the time, haha, and then I cave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome willpower! I wish I had that kinda willpower when it comes to eating better, not that my habits are too bad, its just I crave sugar and bread like there's no tomorrow. Which of course are probably two of the worst things that you can crave together. Way to go though! Keep up the great work! I know you can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this prayer because i struggle with cravings all the time. i was reading this book and it gave me some great pointers like being mindful before eating, like make sure you are sitting down, taking thirty minutes to an hour to eat...but even when i know all this stuff...cravings are still pending..you are inspiring as always...i like the idea of giving up something each week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pray you keep up the good work. Sugar cravings are usually the result of not eating enough protein..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats and I am inspired and encouraged! My one cup of coffee < a bit of coffee and loads of almond joy creamer or Butter Pecan creamer> ....I have surrendered to being a vegan ...but that one cup of coffee ...has been bound right now ...and the sad truth ...is I dont'wanna give it up ... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am off caffeine and sleeping better than ever. And having fun creating sugarfree desserts. YUM.

    Best wishes as you learn about your cravings.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Determination...willpower..and of course prayer! A winning combination to overcoming anything:D I have been lucky to not have a sweet tooth...but a love for chips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you're talking about. I'm taking a healthy habit challenge with my daughter. One of the challenges is no sweets or soda. It isn't hard to give up soda, but sweets? Now that's a different thing. I've had no sweets since Monday and that's with a 3 pound bag of peanut M&Ms in my pantry! I need to hang tough and seek divine intervention to do this! I must admit, I'm feeling much better without that 3 lb bag of M&Ms in my stomach! (I just need to keep telling myself that)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that you know that you're not alone in these cravings. And it is hard -- I'm attempting to do just what you are doing. Have you heard of Lysa TerKheust's book, Made to Crave? Check out Lysa's blog through Proverbs 31 Ministries. It's a great tool to help us understand how to overcame these cravings. Hope you can locate the book or at least read some of her ideas from her blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe your post is God's nudge to me to go back on a vegan diet for a few weeks (Daniel fast: no refined flour products, no sugar, no dairy, no meat.) It's kind of radical,but I did it two weeks last year as a fast, a reminder to be set apart for God, AND I lost weight, which I'm needing to do after the holidays... It's amazing how you can taste natural sweetness of foods once you give up sugar...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to tell myself to give up on peanut butter. Thank God it finished this week so I am not going to buy anymore. I pray God to help me start working out again. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alida, I love this and can sooo relate. I don't know how much you have affected my year because when you posted on your word of the year, Surrender, I knew the Lord was speaking to me. It is my word. One area of surrender for me is with my diet. My father died and I put on a bunch of weight. Then I had to leave our church where I was the head of Women's Bible study. Loved those ladies, but I could not in a clear conscience continue attending. Anyway, I started a book that was recommended to me, Lose it for Life, and the first point they want to drive home is what? You guessed it, surrender!!! Anyway, thanks for being used by God as He directs my life.

    ReplyDelete