Friday, June 01, 2007

stop and smell the roses
















Time goes by so much faster than I ever realised possible. It seems as if it was just yesterday I was driving to Seal Beach to get out of the Pasadena smog for play time so the guys would take a better afternoon nap.

Nathan is leaving early Sunday morning to fly to Pittsburgh to visit friends. Spencer leaves the next weekend for camp in Colorado. Neither one of them needs me to pack their bags and decide what they will wear or to plan out their itinerary. In all of our years as a family this is a first for Tom and I.

Last year we left Nathan and Spencer home alone, Tom was here in America and I was in Rome, Italy. They spent their time playing video games and eating whatever they wanted for ten days. We were connected through text messaging and email.

This year both of them are happily leaving us behind.

I, being a mother, have mixed emotions.

I want them to grow, mature and experience life. But, I want to make sure they don't get hurt. And yet I remember when they were little "falling down and getting back up" was part of the process of development each one had to experience. It is the "falling down and getting back up" that leads to growth and maturity.

My heartfelt prayer is that they will both (like Christ) grow " in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men." Luke 2:52

10 comments:

  1. I am very touched by your post. My oldest son turns 15 next month and I am reaching the point where the Lord will need to take over in many things and guide him as he is becoming more independent and spending more time away from me. I love your verse.
    I am sure that you children are going to have a wonderful summer and so will you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Gosh! Hard-to-swallow! I know my time is comin.

    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the things I have to look forward to in the future. ((sigh)) My baby is two and we are still in the early falling and getting back up again. My other baby...well, we'll get to meet him/her at Christmas time. Oh, I look forward to raising my children to understand God's love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! they are so grown. They are becoming men. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! How interesting to be in Russia. When I get some more time I plan to come back and browse your archives and get to know you a bit better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for all the comments... this post was difficult to write. At 17 and 20 they are 'grown' and it is not easy to let them go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My youngest is 16, and it kills me not to pack his bags. Now, he doesn't even need me to tell him what to pack. I nearly drove him insane last week about a can of bug spray. We must be brave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I raised 2 boys also, now ages 27 and 28. I'm afraid I'm not doing the "empty-nest" thing very well. My youngest lived with us until age 24 and then my oldest came back to live with us after Hurricane Rita put his rent house out of commission. I enjoy the quiet, but there are days when I wish we all lived together again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been moving around in your "blogs" for about 45 minutes. You have lots of interesting stuff in them.

    I can really feel your pain in not wanting to let your children go. But take if from a mom who's daughter is 31 this past march, they already know how much you love them and what not to do. Getting them to show you that they know is another story.

    The best thing we can give out children is the love of God and a good christian home full of love. They will find their way in the right direction. Sometimes, they even come and give it back, by teaching and directing their own kids in God's love. But your sons are too young for that yet.

    I will pray for a safe and happy summer for all of you.

    Take care. Nice blog. I have added you to my side bar. I'll be back.

    God Bless, Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:14 PM

    Praying for you friend! You know you have raised them well if they are flying the coop with confidence! kriswith3

    ReplyDelete