Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Babushka or not a babushka?

Franzi and I were supposed to meet today. However, when someone who speaks four languages plans a meeting and their first language is not English….lookout! I arrived at where I thought we were meeting and pondered how we could possibly miss each other. After all she is Swiss and I am African American. It’s not like we blend into the crowd. She went to the Renoc and I went to the Tram-vi station near the church. She was going to show me how to buy fresh meat. Maybe, God was telling me I’m not ready for that yet. City girls are not used to seeing fresh meat being ground up. I prepared myself by not eating breakfast. I did not want to lose it; if you know what I mean! I waited for an hour for Franzi to show up. We will try again next week.

Since I had time to kill I played a game….Babushka or not a Babushka. I took pictures of Babushkas once they came into focus! I also came up with this:

You might be a Babushka:

If you like to sit facing the other passengers…

If you listen to other people’s conversations and then interrupt when you have the solution to their problem….

If you tell someone else they need a sweater or jacket because YOU are cold…

If you like to wear socks with your sandals…

If you seem to always know what everyone else is doing…

If you like to get out early to get your shopping done…

If you ignore fashion and just wear comfortable shoes….

If you dye your hair interesting colors including orange or burgundy….


If you can invoke guilt in listeners who don't even know what you are saying!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:30 PM

    That was the funniest little skit I have seen. Each pix was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:48 AM

    Maybe you could say,

    Sometimes you feel like a Babushka,
    Sometimes you don't.

    Hugs to you, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Barb,
    I may take some more pictures and use that caption!

    ReplyDelete