Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Column Of The Flagellation

I woke up with the world's worst backache... if you are over fourty think carefully before climbing stairs on your knees.

Rhianna and I took a walk today so I could stretch. I found one a Basilica I had been to before and photographed it from a different angle. I crossed the street noticing ahead of me an interesting sign. It was for another Basilica... yet it was so plain and seemed out of place. As I waited for it to open I came to realise it was one I had wanted to visit but was not quite sure how to find it.

Entering from the side you miss the grandness of the front of the church. That is intentional. The church is set back from the street. They are not really looking for tourists to find them; only the faithful. There are brochures inside that say NOT FOR TOURISTS.

This church is known for the mosaics it is filled with. At one time it was a major Basilica... due to the column of the Flagellation being here it was a major part of the Passion week. Easter is not a time for visitors; the church is closed to tours.

As I took photos and comtemplated in this church Rhianna began to vocalize! She even had a little gas and not from the pleasant end... Spencer tells me I can never show myself at this church again! Erin said that they must now change the name to the church of the Flatulation!

Even with as much pain as I am in today I know it does not compare to that which Christ endured. Oh, the church is named for one of the daughters of Senator Pudens. He is mentioned in 2 Timothy 4:21. He was a very wealthy man and when he died his daughter devoted her life to the Christian martyrs and this church is dedicated to her.

I found it interesting that I would visit this little church after visiting the stairs. Jesus was taken to the column after using the stairs...




==============
Flagellation of Christ
The scourging of Our Lord by command of Pilate, after He had appeared a third time before the civil court and before He was condemned to be crucified. The Column of the Flagellation of Christ is a famous relic; half of it is in Jerusalem, the other half was brought to Rome in 1222 by Cardinal Giovanni Colonna and placed in his titular church, San Prassede (Saint Praxedes), where it still remains. Among the many masters who have represented the subject of the Flagellation of Christ in art are: Alberti, Bellini, Duccio, Ferrari, Fra Angelico, Luini, Palma, Rembrandt, Romano, San Sepolcro, Signorelli, and Velasquez.
New Catholic Dictionary

No comments:

Post a Comment