Sunday, July 10, 2005

Sunday at the Pantheon

As I approached the Pantheon I just could not believe I was here. I kept thinking I must be looking at the set of a play. After all I have seen so many plays... I have even been in a few. It just has to be a set! It is massive! It is unreal! There is a huge hole in the top and when it rains there are drainage holes in the floor for the water to drain into. There is also artwork inside and kings and queens are buried here too. This is also a functioning Catholic Church! Masses are held here on a regular schedule.

I have a note in my book on Rome that says the Pantheon was dedicated as a church on November 1, 608. All Saints Day. The church was christened and dedicated to all the martyrs. The bones of manys martyrs and other relics were brought there from the catacombs in honor of the event.

I got a chance to talk with Tom on the phone today. I told him about the night walk we took last night. We saw the Pantheon then too... we had to come back and get some day time shots. It was interesting to see the life of the city at night.

There is a statue in Campo de' Fiori of Giordano Bruno. He stands in the center of the plaza there with his cowl on overlooking everyone. He was a humanist and a scholar who was burned at the stake in 1600 for believing the world was round and not the center of the universe! Whoops... I bet someone wishes they could make that decision over again!

Performers... musicians, magicians and photographers are there to make a quick Euro as people come to see Bruno and enjoy a meal in the square.

In Piazza Navona there is a huge fountain that has the Four Rivers that were known at the time. The Nile is depicted with his head covered because the head water location was not known at that time! The Rio de la Plata appears to be looking up in shock at the church... although the church was built several years later, hmmmm!

This Piazza was also the artist hang out. I picked up some water colors here of the Vatican that were done by a man named Alessandro. He showed me the difference between ones that he had done in the daytime, afternoon and evening. He had one straight on that showed the key to the city and one view from across the bridge. He was selling the small ones for 10 Euros each so I chose two that I liked and thanked him for sharing his art with me. He seemed so happy to have someone stop and talk with him. Tom said it is like showing off your children. Artists love to explain all the different things they have done.

Erin and I made it as far as the Trevi Fountain which is spectacular at night. Everywhere we went the police were out in full force. They were at every monument... Bruno had four gaurds watching over him! At the Trevi Fountain the plain clothes police were there too; with ear pieces in and everything! I suppose they were not to be noticed... but, I saw them. I chose not to photograph them though!

No comments:

Post a Comment