Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Head coverings

Just pondering the head covering issue this morning here in Odessa....

On Sunday I noticed that most of the women who had the coverings on were also wearing wedding rings...

I had been told that the covering was a symbol of a womans submission to God...

However, women who are single, divorced or widowed do not have to cover. So who is the submission to? I already know I am to respect my husband. But now I have to wear a head covering to show my submission as well?

The younger set of women seem to be taking this in stride. I noticed the size of the head coverings varied! Some were simply headbands. Some women had brightly colored scarves... floral patterns, various colors were blooming around the room... Only the women over 60 had plain coverings on that were tightly bound to their heads.

I crocheted mine after church last Sunday. I was taught by my church growing up not to offend another believer 'in order not to cause them to stumble' so I will abide by the "rules" while I am here. My covering reflects my personality. It is approved of by my husband. He loves bright colors and intriguing patterns. So I made a scarf of lime green, torquoise, orange, mauve, royal blue and purple. I kept my head covered the whole time. The older women nodded their approval and I was kissed many times by several dear old babushkas after service. They were so happy to see us back at church. One women gave me her testimony about how she had gone to a baba (shaman) and was told that she would be healed in four months. She showed me her scar on her leg. She said that God had healed her when she started coming to church. She gave all the glory to God's healing power and not to the baba.

I am grateful to my grandmother, Maxine Shorter-Summers and the people who formed my sprituality when I was younger. I think about the women like Bertha Woodson, LeMoine Ralston, Jurline Brown and Hattie Crockett who were and are ladies of faith. I know how to behave no matter where I go because of the example they set for me.

I am grateful to have a husband who allows me to be me...
and who knows that whether my head is covered or not I respect and love him and our Lord dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment